• This topic has 4 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

In this thread, http://www.slavorum.com/index.php/topic,763.0.html, about Janosik, which calls him "the Slovak Robin Hood," I was annoyed with what I found to be some Anglo-centered Chauvinism. In general, I find that there is a definite Western-centeredness to how Europe is looked at. Historical events may account for much of this, but even now, in the liberal era of political correctness, which seemingly goes against such things, the Western-centeredness remains.

E.g – Something good and Slavic is just a rehash of something Anglo or Germanic.

What do you make of this? And how do you think that it will change?

Anonymous

Well, why do you think this is Anglo-centered Chauvinism? Slovaks naturally perceive Jánošík as Slovak national hero.
    I would not compare Jánošík to Robin Hood. In reality Jánošík was not such hero, he was a bandit and robbed anybody regardless of social status. But OK, people made of him a hero who robbed Hungarian aristocrats. It reminds me blind voters who love their leader (a head of a political party) because he raised the tax for banks, but at the same time he robs poor people in other ways (like e.g. paying for everything they need to do in bureaucratic system). It is clear that he was a Slovak born near of Terchová, a Slovak town, then in Austria-Hungary and mostly lived in this region .. whether he is also a Polish hero or not, I don't care. After all, why not if he went to rob behind the borders of Hungarian kingdom?  :)  In this case he may be a hero for Moravians and Silesians too, 'cause he robbed there as well. But I don't think it's something amazing, he did it for own profit. That's why he wasn't like Robin Hood. People love the legendary Jánošík, not the real Jánošík.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    In this thread, http://www.slavorum.com/index.php/topic,763.0.html, about Janosik, which calls him "the Slovak Robin Hood," I was annoyed with what I found to be some Anglo-centered Chauvinism. In general, I find that there is a definite Western-centeredness to how Europe is looked at. Historical events may account for much of this, but even now, in the liberal era of political correctness, which seemingly goes against such things, the Western-centeredness remains.

E.g – Something good and Slavic is just a rehash of something Anglo or Germanic.

What do you make of this? And how do you think that it will change?

I think it's simply because this article is written in English language and naturally, if it is written in English comparisons with English persons will appear. I don't think that in a Slovak or Polish article he would be compared to Robin Hood or any other guy from the Anglo-Germanic sphere.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well, why do you think this is Anglo-centered Chauvinism? … People love the legendary Jánošík, not the real Jánošík.

First, since they assume Janosik is just like Robin Hood. They take something they know and project it onto something else. Though, I guess that this is an inevitable part of human understanding, however, I still think that the comparison could have been made better, rather than just bluntly in the title.

Second, this raises the interesting topic or romantic notions vs reality. As much as people love folk heroes with noble hearts, the more one looks into the basis of reality for any such legend, the less perfect it becomes.

Quote:
    I think it's simply because this article is written in English language and naturally, if it is written in English comparisons with English persons will appear. I don't think that in a Slovak or Polish article he would be compared to Robin Hood or any other guy from the Anglo-Germanic sphere.

I see what you are saying, but I have yet to see this trend go the opposite way. My quip is that Anglos and Germanics very frequently completely anchor their understanding of the world from their own POV.

To Anglos, Janosik is "The Slovak Robin Hood"
    To Slavs, Robin Hood is an Anglo folk hero akin to Janosik.

Maybe I am splitting hairs, but to me there is a difference there. One is decidely less presumptuous.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I see what you are saying, but I have yet to see this trend go the opposite way. My quip is that Anglos and Germanics very frequently completely anchor their understanding of the world from their own POV.

To Anglos, Janosik is "The Slovak Robin Hood"
    To Slavs, Robin Hood is an Anglo folk hero akin to Janosik.

Maybe I am splitting hairs, but to me there is a difference there. One is decidely less presumptuous.

Now I get what you mean. I agree with you to a certain degree.

Anonymous

It personally doesn't bother me too much, since Robin Hood is simply more well-known by far than Janosik.
    Since there are similarities in character (to some extent also storyline), I think it is necessary comparison when describing him to Western audience. I suppose it is somewhat effective way of spreading our folklore outside of Slavic lands.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Jyxia
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • Piachu
  • slovborg
  • jorgos
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)