• This topic has 10 voices and 71 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Bulgaria seems fascinating as in some tourism promotional videos and, not that I am going to live there, but I got curious as for what the ups and downs of life there could be.

Also, is it true Bulgaria has got the highest percentage of blond and fair-eyed people in the Balkans? Could it have something to do with the ancient Bulgars?

Anonymous

Anonymous

The ups in Bulgaria are Rila, Pirin, the Rhodopes, Vitosha, Strandzha, Sakar etc. and, of course, Stara Planina/the Balkan. The downs, I guess, would be the Upper Thracian plane or maybe places like the Devil’s Throat etc.

As for life here – well, there’s lots of Bulgarians. It depends on each person whether that’s an up or down, but for most of us it’s a down. On the other hand, those Bulgarians are quickly decreasing (one of the fastest disappearing nations in the world), so that’s a reverse.

Otherwise, eh, here’s a video. It’s not like you can find a definitive answer anyway…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGVR71QcndM

Anonymous

@NikeBG Do some people in Bulgaria believe government should find them a job or try to make their life better in some way?

I witnessed many people in Serbia start to bash their country because of their own inability to get a job or perhaps better paid job

Anonymous

We could do with less tourists.
    Make Bulgaria Great Again – stay out.

Anonymous

All politicians everywhere make the people unhappy. @Shaokang Americans bash their State or Federal government for not providing good jobs. I hear this everyday from some person. 

I hope Bulgarians and Serbians are happier than the Russians. I just read this today:

Russians today are as apathetic and resigned as they were during Soviet times, said Eva Hartog and Lev Gudkov. Under Communist Party rule, the typical citizen was deeply mistrustful, not only of the state but of everyone apart from his immediate family. The adage “They pretend to pay us, we pretend to work” was the unspoken motto of Homo sovieticus, because he knew how to evade the demands of the authorities “while simultaneously maintaining informal and corrupt relations with them.” During the chaos of the early post-Soviet years, the average Russian was adrift, aghast at his sudden job insecurity and embarrassed about his country’s poverty and historical crimes. Then came Vladimir Putin to restore his sense of dignity. Putin assured Russians that every country had skeletons in the closet, “nothing to be ashamed of.” Most important, he returned the state to its role “as a paternalistic caretaker.” The modern Russian is now very much like Homo sovieticus, only with a car and nicer clothes. He doesn’t think he can change the government and doesn’t want to try. Knowing corruption is everywhere, he has learned to “adapt and make deals with the authorities.” Young Russians may occasionally protest, but they are soon co-opted into a system of compromise and cynicism. “It will take more than one generation to change that.”

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/the-evolution-of-homo-sovieticus-to-putins-man-59189

Anonymous

@Karpivna Those people are too spoiled. Why should country provide them jobs? No reason for that.
    They should provide for themselves, the country should only provide for normal business environment for those who want to start their own business.

Anonymous

Man can no longer provide for himself, especially if he lives in the city. He is dependent on social structures, which are extensively monopolized by government.

Anonymous

@Shaokang @aaaaa I agree with you, @Shaokang. People should support themselves. However, as 5xa pointed out, people have become children of the State. Most people no longer farm their food or even know how to farm. They are completely dependent on the social structures, many of which are subsidized by the government. 

Look at what has happened to the UK now that the conservative government has eliminated or reduced government benefits. People can’t function; homelessness is rampant.

What happens when you slash welfare

John Harris

The Guardian

Homelessness is soaring in Britain, said John Harris. Nearly a quarter of a million people are homeless, and thousands of them are sleeping on the streets. These numbers have doubled over the past seven years, not coincidentally during the time that the welfare-slashing Conservative Party has been in power. Anyone could have predicted that “if you cut and cap benefits, leave a snowballing housing crisis untouched, and fail to question the specious morals of the market,” people will be priced out of housing altogether. Worst hit are low-income single people under age 35, whose rent subsidies have been reduced to almost nothing. Young housing-benefit recipients who are lucky enough to live alone in a one-bedroom apartment will, starting in 2019, be forced to switch to the kind of shared housing that is increasingly hard to find. “You’d think you were looking at a policy designed specifically to increase homelessness.” Worse, the new universal credit system, which rolls six types of benefits into one monthly payment, has a lag of six weeks between application and payment. During those six weeks, people dependent on benefit money can’t pay their rent or bills, so they are getting evicted. The “obscenities of current homelessness” are a direct result of the Conservative Party’s “streak of cold cruelty.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/13/tories-homelessness-crisis-rough-sleeping-universal-credit

Anonymous

@Karpivna Britain is 25+ years late. We did that in 1990’s already.

Anonymous

In Bulgaria people usually own their home, but under the guise of EU property taxes homogenation or something they might crank up property taxes to force people to sell, making them further dependent on the beast.

Anonymous

@aaaaa The EU is beginning to sound dangerous. 

Anonymous

@aaaaa & @Karpivna In any case I wasn’t talking about that. I didn’t
    talk about the way food supply chain is regulated and taxed or if the people still own a farm. What I’m talking
    are the people who finished school for hairdressers (or something like
    that) who are whining how the government should employ them and give
    them salary of a diplomat (figuratively speaking). Many join the
    political parties in hope for similar things (as we still own some large
    government owned companies) and whats the worst they are slowly but
    surely taking over this poor country.

Anonymous

I’m just fear mongering. In rich western Europe a lot less people own the place they live in, though. Things that make you go hmm …

Anonymous

@Shaokang Who is taking over Serbia? The low skilled workers wanting high wages? That is a problem, too, in the USA. Here, the blame goes to the Unions (UAW, etc.) for paying low-skilled workers with only high school diplomas high salaries with premium benefits (paid health, dental, vision insurances for life, lucrative pension on retirement after working 30 years, etc.). 

I know a guy I went to high school with who works for the local auto factory. He did not go to university. With overtime, he made $100,000 last year. He partied all through school and barely graduated. He gets 6 weeks paid vacation, a discount on his vehicle, and all sorts of paid benefits. 

I spent $80,000 for higher education and I don’t make anywhere near $80,000 a year. IDK. The world is crazy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Симеон
  • Shvo
  • Das Rheinenfuchs
  • m1tric
  • ☭Lil Commie☭
  • CampmakerZA