• This topic has 14 voices and 66 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Yesterday I ended up catching a very slow bus from Bratislava to Trnava. I have a lot of ancestors from my moms side coming from the towns that we passed through on the ride, especially the towns from Pezinok to Modra. They were all listed as “vinohradnici” in the matricula books from the time period, so they all were working with wine. It got me thinking about how their lives must have been back then, and how many of them must have had interesting stories that Ill never know of. So now Im wondering about you guys, what did your ancestors do? Do you have any interesting stories about them?

Anonymous

Interesting topic. But I don’t really know. My grandparents from mother’s side were born in Hungary, where my ancestors still live. I never seen them except my grandma’s cousin’s family from Budapest. :D My grandparents from father’s side are from Slovakia. I know a lot of my family lives in southern Slovakia in all these villages, so I don’t really know where they all come from and what they did in past. All I know is that my grandpa had a little wineyard but I doubt it was a family tradition. My great grandmother used to live in a classic small Slovak house with a little field full of vegetables. I think she didn’t work. She raised 10 children and someone had to work on the field. I don’t know what my great grandpa did though. My family wasn’t like living in the same house every generation and doing the same work. Everyone traveled somewhere else and had their own family there. I got family in Slovakia, Hungary and Czechia as far as I know. One of my grandma’s cousins even emigrated to the USA. He speaks Hungarian.

Anyway I should ask my grandma about this topic.

BTW I spent this weekend at my dad in Bratislava. :D

Anonymous

My great-grandfather sold a field and sent my grandfather to college in the city. My grandfather had a crush on a girl back home so he dropped out and came back home. Some time later she married someone else. True story.

Anonymous

Hah, that’s a classic one, aaaaa (about the girl marrying someone else)!
    In my family lines, the vast majority of my ancestors were simple farmers with nothing much interesting about them. My paternal grandfather was a city boy and worked in the military, as did my father. My paternal grandmother eventually got tired of being a peasant and came to live in the city, where she met my grandfather. Respectively, both their male predecessors served in the wars as common soldiers, as did my great-grandpa from my maternal side (who took part in WWII during the Red Army’s counter-offensive and reached as far as Hungary, where he learned some Hungarian, which he later unsuccessfully tried to teach my mother), whom I’ve met (he died when I was 12) and who was a very, very nice person and had a really good talent for drawing, but his family couldn’t afford to send him to study art in the city, so he also remained a farmer (well, a carpenter, actually). On that same line, more interesting are the more distant generations, namely the founder of that side of my “clan” and one of the three original settlers of my current village. His name was Tano, nicknamed “Karshigoro” (Forest-breaker, or Mountain-breaker in the archaic meaning), and he was a real Shop – strict, but just and not afraid to use the stick (sopa). Even as a kid he was harassing the Turkish boys here, forcing them to hide up on the trees (that’s shortly before our liberation, btw, as he was also a kid/early teen when he went to Vasil Levski’s hanging in 1873), and he and his two brothers (or uncles, still can’t figure that out, as there’s an age difference) had moved to this location from their original village after their father had killed some Turk, who was harassing his wife/their mother (I presume their parents were then killed in retribution, as Tano arrived here as an orphan and thus had good reason to hate them Turks). Or so the old folks of our rod (the Karshevi or Tanevi) say. Otherwise, from my maternal grandmother’s side, I know only that her ancestor came to this village from the Pazardzhik area, was a merchant and traveled around a lot (went to Jerusalem, thus his line are known as the Hadzhiite, and also has a picture taken in Germany).

Anonymous

They had sex, That’s the only thing I can confirm without a doubt

Anonymous

Oh well, lets see… On dads side, my great-grandfather ran a shop in what’s today downtown Belgrade, until the communists took over his property, his wife was a housewife and on her side some people were diplomats in the days of the Kingdom. Grandpa was engineer, his wife a housewife and her ancestors were masons.

On my moms most of the grandparents and their ancestors were farmers. Grandpa was architect and grandma a nurse. Grandpa’s relatives were Danube Swabians so couple of years after WW2 they had to march back to Germany because commies were hunting them like trophies, but he didn’t leave Yugoslavia.

So yeah. Pretty much it.

Anonymous

paternal grandfather – construction worker from a village in south western B&H ,  maternal grandmother housewife from Dalmatia. They moved in the 1950s to northern Croatia ( Slavonia) due to economic reasons (commies impoverished the region around their old hometown). 

maternal great grandfather. A Czech from Moravia , a railroad mechanic that migrated to the southern portion of the Austro-Hungarian Empire when it controlled Croatia, Bosnia,  and Herzegovina because of work opportunities.

maternal great grandmother. A Carpatho-Rusyn from Western Ukraine. Also migrated into the western Balkans when it was under Austro Hungarian rule due to tough times Ruyns were going through at that time in Ukraine. Housewife when she married my gr. grandfather.  

those two had my maternal grandmother who became a housewife

maternal grandfather was an aircraft mechanic and pilot from a Herzegovian village that was drafted to serve as a pilot in WW2. raised by a Jewish family in Croatia because his own parents died of natural health reasons.  a life-long anti communist that’s been all over the world. honored as a hero in Israel today being among the Righteous among Nations. His story is very long and would take pages to write and I’m not going to do that now. ;) all i can say is the man earned his stripes and all the respect & love many people give to his memory. 

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis” 
    How did your mother come to be in Slovakia if her family was originally from Hungary? Also have u checked out the website family search, they have all matrícula books from Slovakia and Hungary for free, it just takes work to search through them 

Let’s go for a drink next time then, youre welcome to Vienna as well. 

on my dad’s side I know that when my great great grandfather was young he asked his dad to lend him his horse because he wanted to go visit a friend. He lent it to him but on the way back he broke it’s leg. His dad was so pissed he told him to not come home until he got another one, so he joined the Austrian Hungarian army and didn’t come back till years later. Supposedly he became somewhat successful and bought his own land and also had some transportation business where he made money transporting goods for Jews all the way from Poland to Serbia. His wealth didn’t last though. By the time my grandfather was born the family was dirt poor. My grandfather would steal apples as a kid just to eat.

My grandfather worked then later as the town crier for the local government. When the Nazis took over he would warn people to run to the mountains when they would be summoned by the local government. He hid also a Jewish family who left their belongings with him. They later came back and took their stuff and fled to Israel. They later sent him a postcard inviting him to come and live there lol. When the communists took over he continued to do his job but was arrested one night at a pub for singing a patriotic Slovak song. They put him in jail for like three weeks. After he got out he was fired from his position and he basically quit life and never worked again. No one knew what happened to him in prison, he never talked about it. 

My father’s great grandfather on his mother’s side was a butler to the Hungarian family odeschalci ( I can’t remember how to spell it). They liked him a lot because when the village was rioting and threatening to burn their house down he calmed all the villagers down and sent them home. They allowed my grandmother to be educated by their tutors as well because of him. 

My mom’s side of the family were vinohradnici like I said and her grandfather was a Miller. That’s all I know about them. 

All of my Slovak ancestors were listed as “coloni” (peasents/farmers) in the matrícula books. The butler grandfather was listed as “servus” though 

Anonymous

@Xekoslav cool it would be interesting if you would share his story when you get the chance

Anonymous

@srdceleva  your one grandfather sounds like a Slovak Paul Revere. 

Anonymous

@srdceleva
    Hey. I asked my grandma from mather’s side about our roots.

She told me that we are actually mostly Slovaks. In the 19th century our ancestors lived somewhere in Eastern Slovakia around Bardejov and they moved abroad for work. Grandma told me that they probably moved to Ukraine, Romania and maybe even to Moldova. Aaaaaand one of the destinations was Hungary.

Grandma was born in Rakamaz (near Tokaj) and grandpa was born in Szarvas.
    Their families lived there until 1947. Then they moved to Czecho-Slovakia because of politics. Hungarians had to move from Slovakia to Hungary and Slovaks from Hungary to Czecho-Slovakia. I found this Wikipedia article about it:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovak%E2%80%93Hungarian_population_exchange

They all moved to Southern Slovakia (Nitra region). My grandpa’s brother then moved to Czechia and he had his own family there.

Gramma told me that she doesn’t know where exactly my grandparents from father’s side come from, but they probably have a similar story to tell.

Eastern Slovaks are known travelers. They are all over the world. :D It’s because Eastern Slovakia used to be poor and people had to move somewhere else to get some work.

Anonymous

Mostly peasant farmers, with a couple tailors and bricklayers in there, with one musician. The ones that came to America all became farmers here. 

One of them that stayed in the old country fought in the Czech legion for Russia, because “he was tired of the Germans’ shit.” Funny thing is, dude had a German surname.

Anonymous

I do not know too much about my ancestor’s occupations, however: an old family lore (passed down to me from my maternal uncle) claims that we are descended from a Polish knight who fought at the Battle of Grunwald. I also know that my maternal grandmother is half Bohemian by blood and her Czech ancestors were colonists from Bohemia in the late 19th century, I guess that’s an occupation. My paternal grandfather was a Belarusian from Dabraulyany in Northern Belarus and his siblings and cousins fought in the Red Army (mostly in the Navy). Also would like to add that my maternal grandfather, great grandfather and my paternal grandfather all served in the Polish army, my great grandfather fought from Warsaw all the way to Berlin, he was in the 1st Anti-Aircraft artillery division, I still have his pics and medals, if any of you are interested. His family was butchered in Wołyń by Banderite scum. 

Anonymous

@Xekoslav

Im guessing you meant the great grandfather. Yea I would love to know more about him.

by the off chance you meant my actual grandfather….well he quit work after his prison stunt when he was about 50 and never worked again except around the house. He lived to be 85 so that was a lot of wasted time to say the least. His older children(my dads siblings) were not happy with him  as they had to help support the family. My dad was born around that time when he was 50 (his mom was freaking 45 when she gave birth to him). My dad never had much of a relationship with him his father seemed disinterested in him, but on his death bed he kept asking to see my dad but my dad was living in Germany at the time. I think in hindsight our family respects him a lot more for the things he did when he was younger, he had a hard life so we cant judge him for basically quitting it at 50.

@Kapitan Denis

I thought this might be the case that’s why I was asking, I couldn’t see another reason for Hungarians to come to Slovakia during your grandparents generation. Many Slovaks didn’t leave hungary and just assimilated, the third most common surname in Hungary is Toth so we know the Slovak heritage there is high. You should seriously consider looking at the family search website. You would find out a lot about your ancestors and who they were.

@texczech82

Well german surnames in the Czech republic and Slovakia don’t always mean german ancestry ( of course they do sometimes). Many Czechs and Slovaks might have taken german surnames out of pure prestige (germans were always respected) or from occupations they did. You have to remember during Austria-Hungary a Czech person may have ran a butcher shop and called himself a “Metzger” though he was Czech, obviously many Czechs do have actual german ancestry. Cool story though he must have been a bad ass.

Anonymous

@Bernhard Yea sure please share them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.