• This topic has 15 voices and 42 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

How are they stereotyped in Slavic countries?

Anonymous

Serbia: Many don’t like Turkey for the past(and I think some Turks as well), but Georgians are seen neutral at very least.

Anonymous

People don’t know much about Georgians I think, except those who know where Katie Melua comes from, those who watched Czterej Pancerni i Pies where one character was Georgian, and those who know Stalin’s ethnic background. In addition, people who have no love for Russia will probably automatically have much better opinion on Georgia without even knowing much about Georgia. 

Turks on the other hand may be perceived by some people negatively, due to Islam being most practised religion in Turkey. Poles who base their opinion on it, most likely are quite dumb and they may change their views as soon as they’ll meet a Turk or visit Turkey. Of course there are people who hate everybody, even other Poles who support different football club, but it’s unnecessary to focus on them.
    Most people however are neutral; recently a lot of Turkish TV series appeared in Poland. And some may have also positive views on the Turks. Few weeks ago I talked with another Pole about these Turkish TV series, but I only remember that he said “damn, these Turkish women are hot” and I, without any hesitation, agreed.

Personally, I like both nations. In the case of Turks I definitely prefer secular folks with positive opinions on Ataturk, I may have a bit difficult time dealing with Erdogan’s buddies though. I also like Turkish language, hopefully will learn one day. 

Anonymous

I can’t really speak for all Bulgarians, but in general our opinion about Turkey is “KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!”, especially now under Erdogan (and needless to say – especially for our ultra-nationalists). Of course, that doesn’t stop many common people from going there on holidays or for housewives to watch Turkish soap operas (as Gaius mentioned). And all this probably leads to a better opinion about the people themselves rather than the country. Not to mention the Bulgarian Turks – our ultra-nationalists probably hate them as well (though enemy №1 are obviously still the Gypsies), but I think the general populace is quite ok with them – I personally see them mostly as quite hard-working and honest people. Still, the image of Turkey as a country, as an idea, still carries a horrible load from the past.

As for Georgia – we don’t think or hear much about them. Those who are especially Russophilic might dislike them and those with an interest in medieval history would connect them with the Bachkovo monastery, but other than that I can’t think of any connections or images we as a whole would have of Georgia.

Anonymous

only Georgian I know of is Stalin, so I don’t have exactly an opinion of them. That’s probably the case with most people here (Serbia).
    I don’t like Turkish regime and policies, but I don’t have an opinion of the people. I met one Turk in my life, seemed like an ok fellow. I’ve also seen many Turks on the highway, since they travel though Serbia from or to Germany, not exactly the best image of them. As Shaokang said many here still hold a grunge because of our past, since Serbia was almost four centuries under Ottoman rule. Their stances with Kosovo and sometime B&H also help in keeping that going on.

Anonymous

For Balkan Slavs or Greeks in the diaspora, many of them that were born early 20th century and lived in that region before migrating generally speaking had negative opinions of the Turks, but almost no opinion on Georgians, probably for a lack of exposure to the latter.  The second generation and beyond that were living in the diaspora have became less opinionated on Turks, and well the Georgians are just like any other race to begin with due to lack of exposure.  Opinions on both ethnicities are almost non-existent in later generations here unless they have exposure/interaction with such ethnicities here in the diaspora.

Anonymous

One day (vidov den) we’ll kill all Turks. Georgians are fellow orthodox. They’ll live.

Anonymous

@aaaaa how Serbian of you, I mean doing great things on Vidovdan…

Anonymous

I eat Turkey on Thanksgiving.  We stuff the butt with tasty dressing.
    Image result for turkey on thanksgiving

Georgia? Taking that midnight train to Georgia, baby? You mean that Georgia?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0F9lh8TiSM

Anonymous

Georgians-cool!
    Turks-nope!

Bam,nailed it!

Anonymous

@Dušan  bulgarian vidov den is not like serbian vidovdan. Bulgarian Day of Reckoning implies trees and ropes. Lots of ’em. It will start with our own, but there will be enough left over for our neighbors. When the man comes around. It’s why we don’t celebrate it every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA

Anonymous

Neutral opinion about the Turks. Positive opinion about Georgians. Good cuisine, beautiful landscape – mountains. 

Anonymous

@aaaaa could you explain it for us not aware?

Anonymous

@zasiedko “Vidovden” for Bulgarians implies dispensation of justice. Not so for Serbs.

Anonymous

@aaaaa sparing the details haha

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.