• This topic has 17 voices and 51 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I would say that being a slav means that you come from a slavic country and you have slavic blood. My great grandfather came to South America right before Holodomor, I guess if he haven't done that, I would probably not be here today. I was born in Paraguay but I'm from ukrainian descendents so, I consider myself a slav because that's where my root comes from. Despite the fact that I don't speak ukrainian, I know some words and read cyrilic, and I would like to learn it someday.

In summary, being a slav, at least for me, means that you must come from a slavic country and have slavic blood, you don't necessarily need to speak a slavic language yet, you must keep slavic traditions, and that's what I do.

I also want to say that we should be proud of who we are. Being a slav means a lot for me and even if I had the chance, I would never change that. I realized that I actually envy all of you because you live in the Slavic land. I'm sure that I will go to live to Ukraine someday.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I would say that being a slav means that you come from a slavic country and you have slavic blood. My great grandfather came to South America right before Holodomor, I guess if he haven't done that, I would probably not be here today. I was born in Paraguay but I'm from ukrainian descendents so, I consider myself a slav because that's where my root comes from. Despite the fact that I don't speak ukrainian, I know some words and read cyrilic, and I would like to learn it someday.

In summary, being a slav, at least for me, means that you must come from a slavic country and have slavic blood, you don't necessarily need to speak a slavic language yet, you must keep slavic traditions, and that's what I do.

I also want to say that we should be proud of who we are. Being a slav means a lot for me and even if I had the chance, I would never change that. I realized that I actually envy all of you because you live in the Slavic land. I'm sure that I will go to live to Ukraine someday.

Western Ukraine was part of Poland, while Transcarpathian region of Ukraine was part of Czechoslovakia during Holodomor between 1932-1934. If your ancestors were from western regions of Ukraine, then they would not have been affected by Holodomor.

To be a Slav means

1. To be brought up in a Slavic culture
    3. To have physical appearance of Slavic people. One doesn't need to be genetically and phenotypically exactly like an average Slav from a Slavic country. Although, Oriental or African or other exotic appearances will not help gaining acceptance.
    4. To be physically present in a Slavic country. As someone wrote  once: " It is not the consciousness of men that determines their being, but, on the contrary, their social being determines their consciousness." It's very important to live in a Slavic society.
    5. To be a patriot of a Slavic country.
    6. To cherish Slavic culture. If you don't like the culture of your ancestors, then you are not a Slav. Sorry.
    7. The  knowledge of a Slavic  language. Actually, 2-3 Slavic languages would be ideal.  Many people are bilingual, while Slavs  living abroad cannot learn the language of their parents and grandparents? I don't buy their excuses.

You may consider yourself a Slav, and nobody can take  away your opinion from you. However, the perception of Ukrainians living in Ukraine about your cultural identity maybe different to that of yours. The cultural and mentality differences will be more apparent to you after you settle in Ukraine.

Welcome to Slavorum! ;)

Anonymous

^ kurupi13: *The above is the trademarked opinion of Sviatogor. ;)

kurupi13: People from Ukraine have said to me, "If you have Ukrainian blood and you feel a connection to your ancestral homeland in your soul, you are one of us!" :) How you identify yourself is your business and that of no other.

The person in this video would probably accept you as a Ukrainian brother/sister. I hope you are following and supporting "EuroMaidan."

I Am a Ukrainian

Anonymous
    Quote:
    ^ kurupi13: *The above is the trademarked opinion of Sviatogor. ;)

My opinion is rather lenient on who can consider themselves Slavs.  :)

kurupi13: People from Ukraine have said to me, "If you have Ukrainian blood and you feel a connection to your ancestral homeland in your soul, you are one of us!" :) How you identify yourself is your business and that of no other.

I am sure they were saying this to comfort you.  :D In reality people born abroad find difficult to settle in communities of their ancestors.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    My opinion is rather lenient on who can consider themselves Slavs.  :D

Now you admit it is an opinion. ;D

I am sure they were saying this to comfort you.:D

No. No. And no. ;D  I was simply trying to encourage kurupi13 in his desire to connect more deeply with his heritage. Slavorum is a great place to begin, I think. Your message was somewhat discouraging, I thought.

In reality people born abroad find difficult to settle in communities of their ancestors.

When will your book on this subject be published? I would like to read your expert opinion in more detail – once you finish compiling your study data, of course. ;) A bit off the subject, but I've recently been reading about this Ukrainian bride business. From what I've read, the dudes married to Ukrainian brides and living in Ukraine seem to find it quite enjoyable, with no problems being accepted. Most of them aren't even Slavic.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Now you admit it is an opinion. ;D

As if it wasn't obvious from the beginning. 

No. No. And no. ;D  I was simply trying to encourage kurupi13 in his desire to connect more deeply with his heritage. Slavorum is a great place to begin, I think. Your message was somewhat discouraging, I thought.

Well, I was encouraging him to stay positive about Slavic heritage. :) Some Slavs from "new world" are reconnecting with their heritage for fun. I remember an American with feminist views on Slavorum claiming Slavic deity Veles was a female because she played a video game in which Veles featured. Another member from California associated himself with a Slavic tribe that went extinct a couple of centuries ago. It's always people from the new world having unusual views about Slavic culture and heritage. But that's my perception.  ::)

When will your book on this subject be published? I would like to read your expert opinion in more detail – once you finish compiling your study data, of course. ;) A bit off the subject, but I've recently been reading about this Ukrainian bride business. From what I've read, the dudes married to Ukrainian brides and living in Ukraine seem to find it quite enjoyable, with no problems being accepted. Most of them aren't even Slavic.

I cannot spend any time on  publishing, as I am studying. However, you may use my opinion as guidelines if you wish. :D  Actually, I may  update them from time to time , as  I feel Slavs raised in the USA deserve harsher guidelines for living in a society divorced from the realities of the world. :D

Anonymous

to be a true slav, you must be slovenian, slovak or slovjak
    to be an honorary slav, you must be sorbian, czech, moravian or rusyn
    all others are just pseudoslavic impostor wannabes  ;D

to be a true or an honorary slav, you must speak the language and be generally accepted as such.
    8)

Anonymous

Say what you want, if one's not in a Slavic country, descended from Slavic parents, speaking their language and knowing their culture and tradition one is no proper Slav, except for first generation immigrants, but that only leaves out the country. Plus, if a Slavic society doesn't accept you as a Slav you can walk on water but it won't help.

@Karpivna ;)

Journey-Dont Stop Believing

Anonymous
    Quote:
    to be a true slav, you must be slovenian, slovak or slovjak
    to be an honorary slav, you must be sorbian, czech, moravian or rusyn
    all others are just pseudoslavic impostor wannabes  ;D

to be a true or an honorary slav, you must speak the language and be generally accepted as such.
    8)

True. ;D I'd also add paprika plantation workers as half-slovenic peregrini thow.

Anonymous

As an American trying to find belonging, I would consider myself a Slav, specifically Czech-Slovak. But if I were to actually say that to a native, I would (in my mind) simply be insulting the people that actually have citizenship, speak the language(s), etc., especially being an American of all things….

I just go off of the natives. If I'm considered a brethren, then of course I'd be the happiest creature on the planet. If not, then I just quietly support my heritage.

Pretty sure I just summarized half of the replies on here and contradicted the other half….XD :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The person in this video would probably accept you as a Ukrainian brother/sister. I hope you are following and supporting "EuroMaidan."

The person in this video is pretty. :p

Quote:
    In reality people born abroad find difficult to settle in communities of their ancestors.

Sometimes. If someone from abroad would come to Poland and say he/she has Polish parents or one parent, people would probably even help this person to feel comfortable. Maybe because they would appreciate fascination of this person about Poland and choosing this country? Don't know. Maybe in other countries, what you say is common.
    And of course it depends on who this person would meet.

Ok, now to the question.

Tam dom Twój, gdzie serce Twoje. (Home is, where the heart is)

If you consider yourself as a Slav, you are Slav. But to consider yourself a Slav you need to have a reason. Your reason is sufficient – Slavic ancestors, connection with a "Slavic world". So in my eyes, you are indeed, no matter where you are born. As Christopher Doyle said: You should trust to your heart enough to discover, that your home is not necessarily there, where you were born.

Anonymous

I can see that the western Slavs proudly present their germanized cultural background, as they tend to be progressively arrogant, cold and ignorant.

Slavic soul was meant to be pure, warmish (embracing) and deeply moral, none of which, as I can see could be applied on them, as it is known that their girls tend to cheaply sell their bodies to the tourists, and they're known for their sexual "craft" worldwide. Shame on you!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Like I've said, the most important is to have the Slavic soul, after that comes the ancestry.

By learning the language, and understand the poetry, music, and other traditional artistic expressions of our ancestors, you can get deeper into the Slavic soul.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I can see that the western Slavs proudly present their germanized cultural background, as they tend to be progressively arrogant, cold and ignorant.

Slavic soul was meant to be pure, warmish (embracing) and deeply moral, none of which, as I can see could be applied on them, as it is known that their girls tend to cheaply sell their bodies to the tourists, and they're known for their sexual "craft" worldwide. Shame on you!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Anonymous

Hahaha! Dażbog, seriously? :D

Anonymous

Yes, I don't like how the majority of people in the thread treat the guy with pure ignorance.

I think he asked for help, while many of these responses aren't near at a level of being helpful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.