• This topic has 8 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

What is  Germanised Czech?
    were Germanised Czechs considered Sudeten Germans?

thank you

Anonymous

After battle of Bílá Hora..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_White_Mountain

Bohemians defeat and started violence total Germanisation and Catolisation..

Germanisation finished in

http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cesk%C3%A9_n%C3%A1rodn%C3%AD_obrozen%C3%AD

http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odsun_N%C4%9Bmc%C5%AF_z_%C4%8Ceskoslovenska – this proces is Czech revange…Czech mobs massacre german and other ethnic, but this is other kapitol

Anonymous

Anonymous

thank you for the information and website

My grandfather was Austrian and born in Austria in 1926.
    My grandfathers father was an Ethnic Austrian and my Grandfathers mother was born in Austria in the 1890's to immigrant parents from Hradec Králové area of Czechia. 

All those surnames are from my Grandfathers mothers family. All the men and woman in the family had German first names going back at least 5 generations.

So it looks like her family were Germanised Czechs who also had some Ethnic German heritage (Haman surname)

So if someone who was a Germanised Czech in the 1800's and early 1900's would they be considered Sudeten Germans? OR just Germanised Czechs? and them being Germanised czechs be the reason for them being able to settle anywhere in Austria pre- 1900?

What is a Germanised Czech?

Anonymous

Who doesn't have German background in the Czech Republic?  Something like 1 in 5 of the people were German in the 1830s.  It comes down to a personal decision, I think,  to decide if one's ancestors were actually Germans or just Germanized Czechs as Bohemia was part of Austria since the 1620s.

I'm assuming most 'Germans' in the Czech Lands were really just Germanized Czechs, since we are talking about a great deal of people and such migrations weren't really possible until the modern era.  For instance, America in 1776 only had like 2.3 million people and half of them were Slaves and the other half were popping out 8 kids each.  ;D

Anonymous

Well most Czechs are part Germanic but someone being part Germanic and  someone being German is very different.

''Indications suggest that modern Czechs are a genetic mixture of the Slavic, Celtic, and Germanic people that have inhabited the Czech territory throughout its history.''

Does anyone know what a Germanised Czech means?

Anonymous
    Quote:

Hahah good one! ;D

Quote:
    Does anyone know what a Germanised Czech means?

There isn't much to know. Germanised Czech is one who has Czech ancestors but overtime he or his ancestors embraced German language.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There isn't much to know. Germanised Czech is one who has Czech ancestors but overtime he or his ancestors embraced German language.

More if they embraced German identity. ;) Irish embraced English language, but they remained Irish :) It is rather hard to determine just by name.

Anonymous

Would a Germanised Czech in 1880's Bohemia be considered Sudeten German or just a normal Czech ?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    My grandfathers father was an Ethnic Austrian

I know what you mean, but Austrians are not an ethnic group but ethnic germans. At this time period between the World Wars it was very common in Austria to call yourself german. Because of language and culture.

Quote:
    All those surnames are from my Grandfathers mothers family. All the men and woman in the family had German first names going back at least 5 generations.

So it looks like her family were Germanised Czechs who also had some Ethnic German heritage (Haman surname)

And the first names?

Quote:
    So if someone who was a Germanised Czech in the 1800's and early 1900's would they be considered Sudeten Germans? OR just Germanised Czechs? and them being Germanised czechs be the reason for them being able to settle anywhere in Austria pre- 1900?

At this time period language was very important for the people. I believe that Czechs would see them as Germans. I don't believe that you had to know german very well to settle in german areas of Austria.

Quote:
    I'm assuming most 'Germans' in the Czech Lands were really just Germanized Czechs, since we are talking about a great deal of people and such migrations weren't really possible until the modern era.

Such migrations WERE possible, because Bohemia was surrounded by german Silesia, german Saxonia, german Bavaria and the territories which are today part of a state called Austria. So it was not difficult if a bohemian souvereign invites german settlers after the mongolian invasions/massacres to expand the german ethnic area into Bohemia and Moravia. If we look at the german dialects of the Sudeten germans we can see that I am right: In the northwest we have for example more saxonian dialects and in the south bavarian dialects. Today of course not because nearly all of the Germans have been exiled.
    But in 13 th century it mainly just began to spread from the neighbouring german speaking areas into bohemian and moravian territory. But in the mountaineous regions of Bohemia the Czechs never where numerous. The Slavs of Bohemia and Moravia settled throughout history mainly in the non-mountaineous regions of the czech lands.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    But in the mountaineous regions of Bohemia the Czechs never where numerous. The Slavs of Bohemia and Moravia settled throughout history mainly in the non-mountaineous regions of the czech lands.

What is situation in hills and mountains today?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What is situation in hills and mountains today?

Almost all Germans were expelled by Beneš's decrees.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Almost all Germans were expelled by Beneš's decrees.

I mean general population regardless of ethnicy.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I mean general population regardless of ethnicy.

It's Czech majority. Bohemians and Moravians are like 95% of population in entire country

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It's Czech majority. Bohemians and Moravians are like 95% of population in entire country

I meant as in density. How much mountainous area is settled nowadays by people regardless of their ethnic affiliation. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Glockamole
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • slovborg