• This topic has 6 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Not so long ago I was camping in the northern part of my province and I came across a Russian immigrant. He was a friendly fellow so I started joking that whatever bushcraft skills he applied in his homeland simply wouldn't make the cut over here. After some time out in the brush with him I realised I was wrong. The man could fish, trap, track, hunt, build a makeshift wigwam out of birchbark, cook, and by God he could play a decent game of shinny. All using unconventional methods. He was a top notch outdoorsman and I reckon if you tossed him on the side of some volcanic island in some far-flung region of the world he'd get on merrily.

It's purely anecdotal but in my mind Slavs have survivability and adaptability mastered more than any other people. They could be hit with all sorts of challenges and displaced into unfamiliar environments and still survive – or thrive as this man did – without too much worry.

That's from a Westerner's perspective, I'd be interested in reading what you folks have to say.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Not so long ago I was camping in the northern part of my province and I came across a Russian immigrant. He was a friendly fellow so I started joking that whatever bushcraft skills he applied in his homeland simply wouldn't make the cut over here. After some time out in the brush with him I realised I was wrong. The man could fish, trap, track, hunt, build a makeshift wigwam out of birchbark, cook, and by God he could play a decent game of shinny. All using unconventional methods. He was a top notch outdoorsman and I reckon if you tossed him on the side of some volcanic island in some far-flung region of the world he'd get on merrily.

It's purely anecdotal but in my mind Slavs have survivability and adaptability mastered more than any other people. They could be hit with all sorts of challenges and displaced into unfamiliar environments and still survive – or thrive as this man did – without too much worry.

That's from a Westerner's perspective, I'd be interested in reading what you folks have to say.

I would say that this man have skills gained in the harsher regions of "half of the world country" Russia. But it is also true that Slavs especially those who experienced in history a lot of harsh times ,wars ,occupations ,exterminations etc ,are very adaptive into environments and have a special kind of pragmatic intellect. There is also another thread where we talked about  strength ,mental and physical. You may check it out.
    So yes ,the characteristics are:
    1. Highly adaptive into harsh environment
    2. Pragmatic intellect
    3. Mental strength
    4. Physical strength
    5. We like to fight (its bad in the times of peace but saved us many times in war times)
    6. We give to world the most important scientists for technological advance (especially in USA) (I know its not a characteristic per se).
    I don't know what to add.
    7. We are very welcoming (especially outside city which westernize some people).

Anonymous

I don't know if you could say Slavs are the only 'highly adaptive' people. In general all humans are highly adaptive.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I don't know if you could say Slavs are the only 'highly adaptive' people. In general all humans are highly adaptive.

I mean not a climate changing or something. I mean mental adaptation.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I mean not a climate changing or something. I mean mental adaptation.

What do you mean by mental adaptation? What is it?

Anonymous

What is the definitive Slavic characteristic/What do you admire most about Slavs

Their demographic expansion. In 500 AD nobody had heard of them and by 650 AD they were the dominant demographic element in Central Europe. Their expansion must be studied if we want to understand the prehistorical expansions of language families like Indo-European. The Slavic linguistic expansion does not fit neither to the Romance expansion model (latin carried out by the expanding Roman Empire) nor to the Hellenistic model, where the Greek language was adopted as "high culture" marker by the Asiatic populations.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What do you mean by mental adaptation? What is it?

sounds like lack of backbone  :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What is the definitive Slavic characteristic/What do you admire most about Slavs

Their demographic expansion. In 500 AD nobody had heard of them and by 650 AD they were the dominant demographic element in Central Europe. Their expansion must be studied if we want to understand the prehistorical expansions of language families like Indo-European. The Slavic linguistic expansion does not fit neither to the Romance expansion model (latin carried out by the expanding Roman Empire) nor to the Hellenistic model, where the Greek language was adopted as "high culture" marker by the Asiatic populations.

Now thats not true. We were already known but under different names. Do you still believe in 2 mln people hiding before world on swamps leaving no sign of existence for thousands of years? Now that's very nazi  ;) read "Interdisciplinary and linguistic evidence for Paleolithic Continuity of Indo-European, Uralic and Altaic populations in Eurasia, with an excursus on Slavic ethnogenesis". That's for start.
    We were well known ,the name Slavs appeared quite late.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    But it is also true that Slavs especially those who experienced in history a lot of harsh times ,wars ,occupations ,exterminations etc ,are very adaptive into environments and have a special kind of pragmatic intellect.

Why are you always refering to the history? Slavs experienced in HISTORY, so many many years ago – mostly they are dead already – were you in Normandy or what? I mean you as you, not you as a Slav. People are different.

Here is a Pole, Slavic guy. Do you really think he would be like Bear Grylls? Does the history influenced him somehow?

History's influence is only in the context of mind. We may be proud how are ancestors fought, but these were our ancestors. I can't tell how I would behave during a war, because I never seen any. So I can't also tell that I – as a Slav – would be so brave, so eager and so fearful just because my ancestors were.

Quote:
    So yes ,the characteristics are:
    1. Highly adaptive into harsh environment

I met many people who used to live in luxuries. Especially Ukrainian girls from the "higher class".

Quote:
    3. Mental strength

Poles struggle with higher rate of suicides.

Quote:
    4. Physical strength

I do not look like Pudzianowski. It depends.

Quote:
    5. We like to fight (its bad in the times of peace but saved us many times in war times)

I agree.

Quote:
    7. We are very welcoming (especially outside city which westernize some people).

It also depends on person. Mostly because of history and its importance to someone.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Why are you always refering to the history? Slavs experienced in HISTORY, so many many years ago – mostly they are dead already – were you in Normandy or what? I mean you as you, not you as a Slav. People are different.

Here is a Pole, Slavic guy. Do you really think he would be like Bear Grylls? Does the history influenced him somehow?

History's influence is only in the context of mind. We may be proud how are ancestors fought, but these were our ancestors. I can't tell how I would behave during a war, because I never seen any. So I can't also tell that I – as a Slav – would be so brave, so eager and so fearful just because my ancestors were.

I met many people who used to live in luxuries. Especially Ukrainian girls from the "higher class".

Poles struggle with higher rate of suicides.

I do not look like Pudzianowski. It depends.

I agree.

It also depends on person. Mostly because of history and its importance to someone.

Why do you permanently try to get in argue with me though I'm not writing anything bad about anybody?
    I see you don't get it so I'll explain.
    During war its a natural selection. Those who managed to survive gulags (escaped from slavery like my grand grandfather) ,fight ,kill and survive in forests etc. They survive ,the weak ones die. They procreate the dead don't. This guy on the photo looks rather like grandson of Jewish communists who would rather survive by backstabbing friends and team up with the stronger. Its simple , you leave me with him in the wilderness ,I survive ,he don't. Its quite obvious. You often have problems with obviousness.
    And yes I do know how to use guns, white weapon ,I know how to make something out of nothing (I was working as a monter -guy who builds constructions all by himself) ,and I have some bushcraft and survival skills. All this because I'm interested in it and I wanted to learn it all. And that's because I have it in my blood. Almost all my known ancestors were soldiers ,one was even in special forces ,few of them had musical talent (as I do) and manual talents (as I do) f.e. my grand grandfather from mothers side builded by himself for my grandma an electric train with cars ,houses ,trees ,stations which were a close copy of the real ones. He builded it  at his work ,everything handmade (not counting an engine etc). I've builded few things for myself too ,and produced few white weapons also. When I was bored sitting over the lake in summer I've made a fishing rod with hook sculpted in wood ,very sharp and strong ,a fisherman I've asked about opinion said that I would be able to catch a bigger fish on that. I was sleeping in hammock made myself with alpine rope and I know how to make an arrow point from glass bottle.
    I have a need to create things and learn things cause its in my blood.
    But I understand that you may not get it.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Now thats not true. We were already known but under different names. Do you still believe in 2 mln people hiding before world on swamps leaving no sign of existence for thousands of years? Now that's very nazi  ;) read "Interdisciplinary and linguistic evidence for Paleolithic Continuity of Indo-European, Uralic and Altaic populations in Eurasia, with an excursus on Slavic ethnogenesis". That's for start.
    We were well known ,the name Slavs appeared quite late.

I didn't said that you "popped" up into existence in 500 AD. Of course you were already existing and that in the distant past you formed a linguistic continuum with the Balts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Balto-Slavic_lng.png

How ever, you were not "known" in the sense that we hear of Hunns and Goths etc in the earlier centuries, but not of Slavs/people who would later be known as Slavs.

That's why I find it fashinating that 150 years after the time that the Slavs entered history (517 AD, the first Byzantine mention), they were the dominant demographic element of Central Europe, found from the southern most tip of continental Greece till the Elbe, and from the Elbe till the western Steppes.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Why do you permanently try to get in argue with me though I'm not writing anything bad about anybody?

I simply do not agree in most statements. It is forum. What is the purpose of forum if everybody agrees with everyone? It would be pointless.

Quote:
    During war its a natural selection. Those who managed to survive gulags (escaped from slavery like my grand grandfather) ,fight ,kill and survive in forests etc. They survive ,the weak ones die. They procreate the dead don't.

And what? If father is strong it is "obvious" that his son would be strong as well? Are you kiddin?

Quote:
    This guy on the photo looks rather like grandson of Jewish communists who would rather survive by backstabbing friends and team up with the stronger.

Maybe, but still – he is Slavic. As Slavic as you, probably, and you write about [every] Slav with glory and with reference to the history which in example, in this case means nothing. He doesn't look like Slavic soldier, he looks like an average traitor from movies. But he IS Slavic. In Polish I would explain it more exact.

Quote:
    Its simple , you leave me with him in the wilderness ,I survive ,he don't. Its quite obvious. You often have problems with obviousness.

Or…
    He would backstab you and he would survive :p

Quote:
    And yes I do know how to use guns, white weapon ,I know how to make something out of nothing (I was working as a monter -guy who builds constructions all by himself) ,and I have some bushcraft and survival skills. All this because I'm interested in it and I wanted to learn it all.

Now you should see what is the point. You have this knowledge because you are INTERESTED in it. Not because you are Slav, it is simply your hobby. Ethnicity is not the reason. There are also Slavs who doesn't care about history, about military, etc. These Slavs, I think, would not be able to survive in wilderness, but you wrote:

But it is also true that Slavs especially those who experienced in history a lot of harsh times ,wars ,occupations ,exterminations etc ,are very adaptive into environments and have a special kind of pragmatic intellect.

You see? As a Pole, this guy I have shown you should be able be adaptive. But then you agreed, he would not be. So?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.