• This topic has 5 voices and 15 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We say in America, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” A 2011 study found that consumption of apples and pears might prevent strokes. A 2012 study found that apple consumption significantly lowered bad cholesterol levels in middle-aged adults.

I noticed Western Ukraine has an apple variety I’ve never heard of before. This apple is called Florin

Image result for florin apples ukraine

This is the sort of apples that has late ripening.

Originally came from France. It is a complex hybrid of M. floribunda 821 and Rome Beauty, Golden Delishes, Jonathan sorts.

The juicy apple of this sort can be colored with any shade from yellowish green to purplish-red. It has a sweet taste, with light spicy notes. Fruits weighing 110 – 145 g, have a cylindrical shape with wide ribs. The fruits are beautiful, delicious, round or flat round shape. The color is light yellow with bright red blurry-striped blush almost all the fruit with a bluish bloom. The skin is gentle. The flesh is yellow, moderately dense, juicy, and sweet.

The winter hardiness and drought tolerance are average.

Here are the main types of apples available to me in the Midwest USA. My favorite apple varieties are Jonathan, especially for baking, and Honey Crisp for raw eating.

Paula Red

Paula Red

Paula Red (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Aug. 20

The first available and pleasingly tart.

Ginger Gold

Ginger Gold

Ginger Gold (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Aug. 20

Sweet-tasting with a hint of tartness.

Gala

Gala

Gala (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 6

A soft bite over a mellow sweetness.

McIntosh

McIntosh

McIntosh (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 6

Juicy with a lightly tart flavor.

Jonamac

Jonamac

Jonamac (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 8

A cross between a McIntosh and Jonathan. It’s rich and spicy.

Golden Delicious

Golden Delicious

Golden Delicious (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 8

A gingerly-smooth taste. It’s known for it’s sweetness.

Honeycrisp

Honeycrisp

Honeycrisp (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 15

Sweet as honey with a crisp bite.

Empire

Empire

Empire (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 18

Versatile with a firm texture. Sweet, yet tart, flavor.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Jonathan (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 18

A crisp, spicy tang that blends well with other apples.

Cortland

Cortland

Cortland (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 20

Tender, juicy white flesh with a hint of tartness.

Red Delicious

Red Delcious

Red Delcious (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 25

Full-flavored sweetness.

Jonagold

Jonagold

Jonagold (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Sept. 25

A must-try.

Fuji

Fuji

Fuji (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Oct. 4

Crisp and sweet.

Ida Red

Ida Red

Ida Red (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Oct. 9

Tastes tangy and tart. 

Rome

Rome

Rome (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Available: Oct. 11

Excellent for baking.

Braeburn

Braeburn

Braeburn (Photo: Michigan Apple Committee)

Anonymous

Whatever’s available.

Anonymous

@aaaaa Have you ever eaten a Florin apple? I’m tempted to travel to Ukraine just to try this apple.  :D

Anonymous

From the list you posted the only thing I can positively identify is golden delicious, although they all look familiar.

Anonymous

@Karpivna

I’m tempted to travel to Ukraine just to try this apple.  D

Steve Jobs would be proud.

I don’t know… Here in Slovakia, we have just the “regular” apples. I didn’t know they have a name.
    I never eat something that has a name. It’s a pet, not food! I won’t eat any more apples in my life!

Anonymous

@”Kapitán Denis” I Googled “Slovakian Apple” this is the result of my search.

Anonymous

I also found this Slovakian folk tale, “The Legend of the Apple Tree and The Goat.”

THE LEGEND OF THE APPLE TREE AND THE GOAT

Once upon a time, a white elf, living in the forest near the Danube and Morava rivers, fell in love with a human captain. The Forest Lord warned her, but she didn’t listen to him and she married the young captain. But after a beautiful summer spent together, the captain went to the army and he never came back.

The immortal elf gave birth to two twin girls. As they grew older they became prettier and prettier. But the elf was worried, because her daughters were mortal. So she decided to go and see the Forest Lord. She begged for two apples of life, which could ensure immortality for her daughters. The Forest Lord agreed on condition she would come and live with him in the forest.

Before the white elf left her daughters, she gave them the apples warning them they couldn’t fall to the ground, or else they would die. Moreover, she built two beautiful castles above the Danube and Morava rivers. One was called Devín and the second one Hradisko.

The sisters exchanged the apples because they wanted to protect each other. They lived each in her castle, but they did everything together. Only once, each sister went out alone and they fell in love with a young hunter. They didn’t know that they were in love with the same boy and he didn’t know he had met two different girls.

But once, one sister saw her twin from Devín with the hunter and she went back to the castle Hradisko in agony. She found her sister’s apple and threw it out of window.

At that moment, Devín castle fell to the ground and her sister died. At the precise spot where the apple had fallen, a beautiful apple tree grew. The sister, appalled by what she had done, ran to that place and hugged the tree. What happened next was even more extraordinary: she heard her sister’s heart inside. Just then, she started changing into a black goat.

From then on, visitors of Devín have sometimes been able to see a sad black goat eating the leaves from an apple tree.

Anonymous

Finally, Slovakian Apples! 

IN SLOVAKIA, traditional apple breeds, once so numerous, have been replaced by prevailingly foreign newer ones. At the break of the 19th and 20th centuries, there were about 300 apple breeds, while today they count only about 50, and in the shops, eight to 10 main species dominate.

Students of the Hotel Academy of Ľudovít Winter in Piešťany joined forces with the Technical University in Zvolen (TUZVO) within the project Old Sorts Are “In” that tries to revive the Slovak varieties. In shops, consumers select the apple by sweet or sour taste, red or green, environmentalist Andrea Uherková of the TUZVO told the Pravda daily. 

However, the old varieties have a much bigger scale of flavours and colours, she added, presenting the wide variety to academy students. They ranged from Libernáč vinický, weighing about a pound (half a kilogram), to tiny Ananásová reneta (Pineapple Rennet), from country-wide forms to cultivar which can be typical even for just one village: Šimkovo apple cultivar, a yellow sweet-sour apple, can be found only in Adamkovské Kochanovce.

Uherková is the author of the project and a student of the Socrates Institute who also collaborates on the project White-Carpathian Apple Treasure (Bielo-karpatský ovocný poklad) which maps old orchards, mostly abandoned but still bearing fruits – which ends up in private distilleries.

Related image

Anonymous

@Karpivna

I also found this Slovakian folk tale, “The Legend of the Apple Tree and The Goat.”

Damn elves. Immortal like Billy Mays (“white elf” means “cocaine elf” but the story had to be “SFW”).

I can’t find this story in Slovak, but I found a few similar ones. They’re simplified. No elves.

A mother gave her 2 daughters the apples of life and both daughters fell in love with some hunter and one of the daughters saw the other one flirting with the hunter and she broke the apple in anger, then her sister died and an apple tree grew from the broken apple and the second sister changed into a black goat and to this day the goat is hanging out near that tree. Let me catch my breath. :D

Now to the more serious topic. It’s sad that we humans have so much power to change this planet and we are changing it to worse rather than a better place to live. From 300 apple breeds to 50?! Shame on us! :(

Anonymous

>”white elf” means “cocaine elf”

Gandalf the White eh?
    Always thought Tolkien must’ve been smoking something when he wrote LOTR.

Anonymous

@aaaaa Beside the Yellow Delicious you should be able to recognize also the Red Delicious. Of course, here we call them Yellow/Red Superior instead (although my grandparents used to call our chervena prevazkhodna “Mutsu” instead (probably because it sounds like “mutsuna/i”, which is something like… eh, duckface?), which is actually a green sort). Speaking of green sorts, I do like the classic Granny Smith (which we called Grainsmith).

Anonymous

I only know GD and petrovka. Some of those do look like a petrovka, though.

… and Granny Smith.

Anonymous

My family grew some apples. I mostly ate Granny Smith and Gloster. However out of all apples I’ve tasted I liked Golden Delicious the best. Also some wild apples (they grow on their own). All in all I eat whatever is available at the moment.

@aaaaa What are petrovkas like? I’m asking because there is petrovača apple popular here in some areas. It got it’s name after saint Peter, ’cause it’s the earliest domestic apple in the season and an apple pie can be made for the saint Peter’s day.

Anonymous

They’re ripe for Petrovden hence the name. Moderately sweet, small apples.

Anonymous

It’s the same here – both the Petrovka apples and pears are named because they’re ripe enough for St. Peter’s day. It has a somewhat more bitter taste, or “tart flavour” as the English Wiki calls it (or at least that’s what the BG Wiki article links to the EN one). In any case, a tart flavour does seem correct.

From the apple types we have at my place (5-6 sorts of apples, including RD, GD, Petrovka, Democrat and a few others I’m not sure about), my favourite is the RD, as it has quite a fresh taste. GD is indeed also great, a bit more sweet and “cosy”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Adam's Song
  • Australian Santa
  • m1tric
  • Das Rheinenfuchs
  • HicksGhostLDN
  • Lyutenitsa™