• This topic has 7 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

[size=12pt]Ancient Romans[/size]

Ancient Rome was an Italic civilization that began on the Italian Peninsula as early as the 8th century BC. Located along the Mediterranean Sea and centered on the city of Rome, it expanded to become one of the largest empires in the ancient world[1] with an estimated 50 to 90 million inhabitants (roughly 20% of the world's population[2][3][4]) and covering 6.5 million square kilometers (2.5 million sq mi) during its height between the first and second centuries AD.

So what is your general opinion on Ancient Romans? and what do you think how did the history between Romans and Slavs looked like?

Anonymous

I live on ex-Roman territory and there is no doubt some part of Romans and Romanised aboriginals constitute part of my people. My opinion is good i guess. Like all civilisations in this world they were of course also blood thirsty bastards. And thats mildly said. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I live on ex-Roman territory and there is no doubt some part of Romans and Romanised aboriginals constitute part of my people. My opinion is good i guess. Like all civilisations in this world they were of course also blood thirsty bastards. And thats mildly said. :D

I read somewhere there was a massacre of Latin/Roman population when Slavs started settling of Dalmatia, Istria, Slovenia etc :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I read somewhere there was a massacre of Latin/Roman population when Slavs started settling of Dalmatia, Istria, Slovenia etc :D

Yes i read that too. But its mostly in older historic material. Due to the fact contemporary sources highly extragerted, if you know what am saying. XD Most of current archeological, historical, etc. conclusions at least here on Slovene territory agree that pre-Slavic folk remained and was assimilated. For example during era of civil wars and barbarian invasions essentially the area was partly depopulated but much of ppl also moved to hills. The phenomenon on SLO territory is called višinske naselbine, highland settlements.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    [size=12pt]Ancient Romans[/size]

what do you think how did the history between Romans and Slavs looked like?

According to Jordanes, Procopius, Malala, Menander Protector, John of Ephesus, Michael the Syrian, Pseudo-Maurice, Sebeos, T. Simokata – wars, wars and wars.

Anonymous

I know that Slavs made up part of the genetic makeup of today's Italy (especially the northern and Eastern parts).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I know that Slavs made up part of the genetic makeup of today's Italy (especially the northern and Eastern parts).

I guess 70% of norther Italy is either or Germanic or Slavic people.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Not to forget the celts

Anonymous
    Quote:

In north western italy (Lombardy and Piemonte) you can find a germanic – gallo-roman influence (celts,romans,Langobards ecc.)
    In north eastern italy the pigmentation are more fair and you can find a lot of germanic (longobards) and some slavic influence ( Longobards arrived in Veneto and friuli with some slavs,alamanni ecc., and the goths, before them , probably were slavic influenced, finally with the Venetian Republic we have had a lot of relations with istria,dalmatia and Slovenia).

I'm not slav and I don't know if I have slavic blood but I can say that the romans was a mercyless empire, but the realtions with the slavs was one of the best. The real struggle is between the germanic people and the romans.

Anonymous

I see the Romans as the real barbarians of the age. Despite all of their inovations, in some views they were far more "barbaric" than f.ex. us or others.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I see the Romans as the real barbarians of the age. Despite all of their inovations, in some views they were far more "barbaric" than f.ex. us or others.

Well they were on the top of the food chain so they were doing what they please :D still term "barbaric" is more a reflection of style of living and culture rather than war consumption.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well they were on the top of the food chain so they were doing what they please :D still term "barbaric" is more a reflection of style of living and culture rather than war consumption.

Well, yes, what did I say? :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • kony97
  • slovborg
  • Tujev
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • jorgos
  • Fia