• This topic has 5 voices and 9 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Was it pronounced with a vowel after the prefix "s-" (so-?) or was it simply something like svet? I'm asking this since in Romanian we have the word sfat which comes from OCS. In my dictionary it is the OCS etymon (I hope that's the right term) had one of those typically OCS phonemes after the "s-". I know that in Slovene it's nasvet without any vowel. In my Bulgarian-language grammar of Serbo-Croatian it says that the lack of vowel prefix is a "Croatian" feature (Serbs apparently use more "sa-/su-" prefix than "s-") I suppose "Croatian" feature translates as either Chakavian or Kaykavian influence of standard Shtokavian Croatian. Seeing that it's also present in Slovene (at least in this word) it should be Kaykavian (but maybe also Chakavian). How come such a word is present in Romanian when Bulgarian has "syvet" (y is the typical Bulgarian phonem)? There are more words with apparent Slovene origin in Romanian.

Anonymous

съвѣтъ.

Anonymous

So this word doesn't come from OCS but from local Slavic dialects? Did the prefix in OCS always contain the vowel съ or in other words it was simply с?

Anonymous

In OCS ъ was a short vowel, which was dropped in most Slavic languages. I don't know what was the pronunciation of Church Slavonic in Romania, it's possible that ъ was also dropped here.

Anonymous

Savjet in Croatian. Dunno about OCS.

Anonymous

Savjet seems to have a bit different etymology, according to Wiktionary it comes from *savětъ, not sъvětъ, but I think that this (prefix sa-) may be a variation of the prefix sъ-, sъn-, sǫ- (cf. Polish sąsiad "neighbour", sumienie (Old Polish sąmnienie), "conscience"), all meaning "with".

Anonymous

съвѣтъ > sŭvětŭ (paste in the Google Translate for Czech language and listen to the pronounciation)

ъ was or is pronounced as a "reduced vowel" ŭ, which one hardly recognises (put Сёмка and съёмка in the Google Translator for Russian and press listen)

Anonymous

Savet. We were reading like it on classes, I dont think anybody anywhere would insist on reconstruction of original pronounciation. Also, your grammar is wrong. Lack of vowel is Štokavian as well, jsut Serbs under influence of OCS and latter CS use both versions, like zbor and sabor.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Savet. We were reading like it on classes, I dont think anybody anywhere would insist on reconstruction of original pronounciation. Also, your grammar is wrong. Lack of vowel is Štokavian as well, jsut Serbs under influence of OCS and latter CS use both versions, like zbor and sabor.

This means that svet existed in earlier stages of Serbo-Croatian?

Anonymous

Yes. It is preserved in folk poetry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • Fia
  • 'las
  • kony97