Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

A friend of mine who’s currently studying in Canada just rescheduled our Skype chat because he ‘needs to go find the ingredients for a Slavic cold remedy for his significant other’. Which, in his Ukrainian version, is tea with raspberry jam, chamomile tea, and rough woolen socks.
    In my childhood chicken broth was also a classic folk method for treating colds and flu, but I think that’s international, not strictly Slavic. And then there’s of course vodka/horilka with red pepper.

So what do they traditionally do in your country to fix a runny nose and a fever, aside from conventional medical methods?

Anonymous

rakija

Anonymous

Anonymous

@saltycola Children don’t drive cars, so they’re allowed to drink. :D

Anonymous

Besides, rakia can be used for rubbing as well. And sometimes you can then isolate the body with papers, in case of fever.
    Honey and garlic are also quite common remedies. Actually, my grandma used to mix honey, rakia and I think garlic as well and give me a few spoons of it. Nowadays we also add lemon and horseradish, which is great for a runny nose. Also, a vinegar-soaked handkerchief as a compress on the forehead in case of fever. And, naturally, for a light cold – keep your feet for awhile in hot water with dissolved sea salt in it. Preferably put on woolen socks after that, of course.

Anonymous

@saltycola ^^ you have rakija soaked bandages. Get sweaty with a lot of blankets, take honey and rakija. Speaking of alcohol, boiled beer is actually pretty efficient cough medicine.

Anonymous

I second the @NikeBG’s remedy. Another one is a tea  made out of boiled cloves of garlic, halves of onion (don’t remove outer skin), ginger, walnut shell, egg shell. Served with honey and lemon.

Anonymous

My dad says my Ukrainian grandmother used mustard plasters on the chest for colds.  :# She made her children take a teaspoon of foul-tasting castor oil nightly. :# :# She also made soup out of dandelion greens. :# :# :# I don’t know if these are ancient Ukrainian health secrets, though.  :D My Ukrainian grandfather swore by cigarettes and vodka. He was rarely ill until old age.  :D

As for me, I swear by the Neti Pot. :) As an allergy sufferer, it find it miraculous. I haven’t had one cold since I started using this device. It lets you flush out your nasal passages with a saltwater solution. The result is thinner mucus that drains more easily. Research suggests Neti pots can ease symptoms like congestion, pressure, and facial pain, particularly in people with ongoing (chronic) sinus troubles. 

Anonymous

Tea and raspberries jam (varennie). It looks like this:

Image result for

Anonymous

Also, harčyčniki (mustard plasters) back in the days.

Image result for

Nowadays, we use Hotteeze. Japanese invention.https://www.hotteeze.com.au/blogs/im-hot/3369692-japanese-heat-therapy

Image result for hotteeze

Anonymous

Rubbing with Rakia.

P.S:
    Ah, @NikeBG already listed them all. Except my folks never used garlic. Thankfully. My dad was a great fan of honey in the nose before bed. I used to hate that one the most.

Anonymous

@ааааа

Mum made me ‘compress’ using Vodka. She would moist towel with Vodka and place around my neck and chest.

Anonymous

The medicinal use of alcohol precedes its “recreational” use. Like many other things.

Anonymous

@Karpivna 
    Is this the Neti Pot?

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing, guys! 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

7 User(s) Online Join Server
  • slovborg
  • буквальный мусор
  • Russ
  • Jan Pat II
  • AphexTwin
  • Piachu