Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 198 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

What's your opinion on us Croats? how do you them? Feel free to be honest.

Anonymous

Naivni, zadrti ljudi, ali i razumni. Pre svega to "razumni" se odnosi u smislu da mogu promeniti mišljenje ako postoji dobar razlog ili ako oni to žele.
    U Srbiji među nekim ljudima vlada uverenje da su Hrvati lukavi prevaranti ali se sa time ne bi složio jer razlozi zbog kojih to misle su posledica Hrvatske naivnosti i Srpskog skepticizma koji se nažalost degenerativno razvio poslednjih 10-tak i više godina

Anonymous

In my view very patriotic. I have been to Istra and part of Primorje when i was kid, general impresion on people was same as in Slovenia. :) Besides that i know you ppl by Mesić, Jadranka, Sanader, Agrokor. Usage of torches during waterpolo and tenis games. :D

Anonymous

I've not been in Croatia before except a short time in Zagreb.  I can't really formulate an opinion of them but knowing how they played a pivotal role in destroying Yugoslavia I would say positive.

Anonymous

Judging by Croats from other forum, they seem to be regular, very friendly, humorous, redoubtable and proudly people.

Anonymous

You forgot too add Piranski zaljev

Anonymous

@Shaokang, i see your Serbian propaganda and demonisation of us Croats is still strong and doing well in your media! However before you get these conclustions about Croats do consider that most of the politicians are using national patriotic demagogy against neighbours to assure their place in the government.

Shaokang is actually right. Sure that opinion is exaggerated but I’m not above giving a critical view of my own people. Croatians are not naive per say , some are , I don’t really see Croats as a whole as idealists in any way , we are more pragmatic , but we are terribly stubborn. There is a Croatian stereotype that fits well I think.

In the best case scenario we are very patriotic and have a unmatched love for our homeland. Worst case scenario is that this pride can sometimes lead to borderline xenophobia. Talk to a lot of Croats and you will see that there is something of a superiority complex especially as regards other ex-Yugoslavs. We like to think we’re just more civilized and clean ( pure) than Serbs, Bosniaks , and Montenegrins. We pity the Macedonians and laugh at the Slovenians. I mean that’s not all of us but we are far too skeptical of our slavic neighbors and Croatians don’t let go of the past easy. If I were to talk to any of my Croat friends ( especially here in the diaspora) about having Serbian friends , Singing Sevdalinka ( for those from Bosnia) they would lash out and say that’s primitive and those people are not to be trusted. We are so ‘different.’ Are we? Sure our side on politics might be different but we still eat the same cevapi , sing a lot of the same songs , etc.

And the Catholicism. Holy cow. This is way overemphasized. Religious Croats literally thing they have a halo over their head and that God himself just might be Croatian lol. I am marginalized by some fellow Croats because I am functionally an atheist and critical of theology. I don’t pray to saints or the virgin Mary and therefore I am looked at with high suspiscion. I think Medjugorje is a hoax though I don’t deny the children might have been genuine in their confession I still think they are deluded. Then Croats figure out I’m not a communist either then they are confused and because they are confused they are negative to that which they don’t understand.

Ultra liberalism is a virus among Croats as well but so is ultra-conservatism and ultra-conservatism is what you’ll find outside of the city center.

Anonymous

Personally, I don’t have negative attitude toward Croats. I live in present, not in past or future. I’m quite realistic, and my opinions are based upon the people I know and/or met.

It’s not media’s fault(at least not in last 10 years or so). I guess some people have such feelings because many Serbs left Croatia with bad memories there is some kind of strange feeling I can’t explain(its not anger, nor hate)which might have transferred even to some of the people that haven’t been anyhow involved in those sad events of 90’s. Current politicians in Serbia aren’t able to make anything anti-Croatian anymore because they aren’t (quite as good) masters of propaganda as they were in Milosevic’s time, and also because majority of people completely lost trust in Serbian government and politicians(which testifies “special law” applied in Serbia where its states that Serbia can elect president even with less than 50% of total voters – so de facto if only one man gets on the elections and chooses his candidate he’ll become president)

Anonymous

Good people.When i visited Dalmatia, I really feeled like being in my country.they have many in common with us.I don't know about the rest of the country..

Anonymous

I see you as Slavic brother and I had met some really nice people from your state , but I know that in Croatia there are people who feel hatred towards anyone or anything Serbian just like there are people in Serbia with the mutual ''respect'' to everything Croatian and because of that  whenever I meet someone from Croatia I am afraid that he or she will see me as a ''awful and evil Serb'' .
    Ima budala i sa obeju strana koji usporavaju odnose nasih naroda.
    dace Bog da  se mi braco pomirimo  ;)

Anonymous

I feel the same way about Serbs shaokang. During the war my family was in Slavonia and saw terrible things. They saw the worst in Serbian people. 2/3 of all the males in my family there were either killed fighting or detained in Mitrovica. Reason I say this is because I’m literally the only person in my family that is willing to let that go and not judge Serbs as a whole based on some dispicable militants, soldiers , and terrorists. In America I had the opportunity to meet more Serbian people and let me tell you something , they are good people. I don’t think I’ve ever met one Serb that treated me badly here except for one particular individual but that’s drama involving more personal matters such as his sister being my high school girlfriend ( long story).

And Croatian politicians are the filth of the earth. I don’t like any politicians really but Croatian ones just absolutely suck. Croatia has such a bloated government , so many taxes , and for being a ‘democratic’ and ‘free market’ country its so f-ing hard to start a business there without being robbed by bureaucrats and loansharks. All of them virtually just suck up to the EU because they want to make the country like Greece. They want big payoffs and all those Euros. They want to spend spend spend into oblivion. So many Croats are skepitical of the EU and would rather say NO but the politicians just act like that’s of no consequence and they poll all the public sector parasites making it seem like all of Croatia is positive of the EU. Its so bad and on top of that Croatia joined NATO . It’s just bad. Serbs and Croats could unite to oust their horrible governments. I’d love to see that!

Anonymous

Coming from a Serb, I really don't get your humor.  :-
    <br /:)” title=”>:)” class=”bbcode_smiley” /> Other than that, Croats I met are nice people, with a great sense of decency which I sometimes see lacking in Serbs for example, could however be that I know more Serbs than Croats, so they are probably equal if looked at in general. Eventhough they have their own opinions which may or may not suit you, they are decent enough not to talk about subjects which may raise discomfort among others at the table. A trait which I respect.

Anonymous

In the best case scenario we are very patriotic and have a unmatched love for our homeland. Worst case scenario is that this pride can sometimes lead to borderline xenophobia. Talk to a lot of Croats and you will see that there is something of a superiority complex especially as regards other ex-Yugoslavs. We like to think we’re just more civilized and clean ( pure) than Serbs, Bosniaks , and Montenegrins. We pity the Macedonians and laugh at the Slovenians. I mean that’s not all of us but we are far too skeptical of our slavic neighbors and Croatians don’t let go of the past easy. If I were to talk to any of my Croat friends ( especially here in the diaspora) about having Serbian friends , Singing Sevdalinka ( for those from Bosnia) they would lash out and say that’s primitive and those people are not to be trusted. We are so ‘different.’ Are we? Sure our side on politics might be different but we still eat the same cevapi , sing a lot of the same songs , etc.

And the Catholicism. Holy cow. This is way overemphasized. Religious Croats literally thing they have a halo over their head and that God himself just might be Croatian lol. I am marginalized by some fellow Croats because I am functionally an atheist and critical of theology. I don’t pray to saints or the virgin Mary and therefore I am looked at with high suspiscion. I think Medjugorje is a hoax though I don’t deny the children might have been genuine in their confession I still think they are deluded. Then Croats figure out I’m not a communist either then they are confused and because they are confused they are negative to that which they don’t understand.

Ultra liberalism is a virus among Croats as well but so is ultra-conservatism and ultra-conservatism is what you’ll find outside of the city center.

I just said that because i wouldn’t like the mutual feelings to be plagued by the recent 2 wars. I think both of our countries have been blessed with media letting a lot of fake news in order to sell, while politicians before elections would use anti-neighbour retoric in order to firm their stance. As for Croatian cynicism towards all their neigbours (except Hungarians), yeah i don’t know where it comes from however i don’t think we’re anything uniqe in that. Germans view Poles in pretty low light, as well as the French, while English were also mocked and hated by them. Serbs also have such attitute towards all neighbors except Romanians. Should i mention also English and their act towards Scotts and Irish in history. What i want to say is I just don’t think that nationalist opinions count here.

@Shaokang, fair enough.

@Dalibor. If i wrote Serbs are primitive balkanians (not my actual opinion, just an example) i’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be accepted with hands open wide among Serbian members here. Also demonisation part is the usage of word “primitive”, as it was meant (from my perspective) as we’re nationalistic and hatefull towards Serbs, in other words every Croat has some genetical written hate and genocidal tendencies towards Serbs.

Anonymous

Well, I wanted to refrain from all this, hense I deleted. But he did not used word primiteve. Zadrti is stubborn, not nicest atribute, but honestly, I believe all people arround here could be described in such manner. Serbs first, and I first among them.

Anonymous

Well i think that would be tvrdoglavi then. If he meant stubborn then indeed i see nothing wrong there as it’s true. It’s a specific trait of Croats, Serbs and Bosniaks i believe.  ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 198 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Fia
  • kony97
  • Tujev
  • 'las