Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

What is the most defining factor for being Slavic? <br />Is it enough to have Slavic ancestry or is a fluent knowledge of a Slavic language and culturisation necessary to <br />be a genuine Slav?<br />There is already a similar thread, but I think this is worth a poll.<br /><br />Excuse the poor English  <br />

Anonymous

Should be multiple choice. It's a combination of things.

Anonymous

I met all requirements ;D

(- Slavic look, I have blue-greenish eyes, brown hair and Alpine phenotype, it could be find all over Europe, I would not classify it strictly Slavic)

I think last one is most importnant of mentioned, but you need to accept and cherish your Slavic ancestry.

Anonymous

If we are talking about Slavs we are talking about ethnicity ,so it would be language, culture, habits and so on.
    I know many people will come with facts about Slavic race, unfortunately there is none. Races are three. Europoid (Caucasian) ,Mongoloid and Negroid. Some scholars used to say there are five. It was not widely accepted thou. I know there are differences in look betwen Slavs ,Nords etc. but they are not different race.

Anonymous

You of course must have Slavic ancestry. ;D Also, it would be good if knowing your ancestors language (what does it help to you if your rooths are Polish but you can speak Croatian and live in the US?) and also to know something about the culture and follow some habits. You can be Slavic without speaking a Slavic language but I wouldn't consider you a real Slav if you don't know anything about them, the culture and stuff like that. Looks would be the least important I'd say. Why? Simple: I consider myself Slovene (Slavic). My ancestors (as far back as I know – untill great grandparents) are Slovene (Slavic). I speak Slovene (a Slavic language). I think I don't look like tipical Slav. Does that make me not-Slavic? No, it sure doesn't. :D

Anonymous

Pride and respect for your Slavic heritage and history should be the most important.  Yes,  speaking a Slavic language would be great, but your heart is more important.

Anonymous

Oooo, ooooo, o moj boh, intruder alert! Fredy Miller in da house! ;D

Fredi Miller – Vedno si sanjala njega_00.wmv

Anyway jokes aside why i hell you woudln’t be Slavic look. By the way personally i think there is no such think as unique Slavic look. D

Anonymous

Of coourse, ancestry is the only correct answer. It's like asking, when can you call yourself a chinese…

Anonymous

Ofc ancestry is not only parameter, even not deciding one

Anonymous

Ancestry first and foremost. A negro from Africa or a Mongoloid from Asia can be born and live in Slavic country and speak Slavic language on native level after five generations, they will never be Slavic. One cannot become a Slavic. You are born a Slav (or part-Slav) and nothing else.

Anonymous

Dumb criterion, but I’m not getting into discussion

Anonymous

so it depends on ancestry? and when can you call your ancestors slavic?
    and we are back to the original question  ;)

Anonymous

If you’re so clever, why not indeed get into discussion and share with us your “clever criterion”, instead of just leaving retarded comments with no substance, given you are very much in minority, since 83.3% in fact agree that ancestry is the most important.

I am not sure if this question was meant to have an obvious answer or be rhetorical to anyone else but yourself, but you can call your ancestors Slavic if they are ethnically Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, Belarussian etc. etc.

If you do not have this ancestry, then you are not Slavic. It does not matter if you live in one of Slavic country and are native language speaker, or if you are ten generations in America, have no clue about culture of your Slavic country or speak not one word of your ancestral language, you can call yourself Slavic because it is who your ancestors were.

Anonymous

if 1 your grandpa had 1 ashkenazi parent and 1 slavic parent, would you consider him slavic or not?
    and if his 1 parent was slavic and the other one 50% slavic and 50% ashkenazi?
    or if 1 his parent half magyar half slavic and the other one slavic?
    or if his both parents slavicness was dubious?

not everyone lives in a homogeneous country like poland  ;D

Anonymous

You pretty much answered your own question with those ethnicities and percentages.

1st scenario, I would consider my grandpa 50% Slavic and 50% ashkenazi, so mix of both and neither exclusively Slavic nor exclusively ashkenazi, and that would make me 7/8 Slavic and 1/8 ashkenazi.

2nd scenario, do you mean above grandfather’s ancestry or the hypotheical person’s parents? If you mean hypothetical person, then he is 3/4 Slavic and 1/4 Ashkenazi, so mostly Slavic, but not completely.

3rd scenario, same as above one, except 3/4 Slavic and 1/4 Magyar, so as in case above, mostly Slavic by ancestry with some Hungarian ancestry also, so again, mostly Slavic, but not completely Slavic either.

4th scenario, then you have dubious ancestry. You cannot claim Slavic ancestry by default if you speak Slavic language and were born in Slavic country if you do not know if your ancestry is Slavic (it may well be, as as word suggests, it’s dubious).

BTW Note also how you use Slavic as designation for ethnicity aside from Magyar and ashkenazi. Also pretty much solidifies argument that ancestry is most important when determining who is Slavic and who not.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.