• This topic has 26 voices and 63 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I want to learn a language that will make me understand Belarusian, Ukrainian , Russian and Polish the most.

I know Russian is Spoken in Belarus and Ukraine but I want to learn a language in between both so i have a good knowldge of both East and West Slavic languages.

what do my slavic brothers and sisters recommend and why?

thank you

Boris V.
    Boris V.
    Participant
    @dedushka

You might want to try http://www.slovio.com/ :)

Anonymous

thank you for the suggestion :) but it would be out of Belarusian, Ukrainian, Polish or Russian.

Anonymous

You said you have Belarusian ancestry, so study Belarusian. But if you're going to learn only one of those languages, then learn Russian since Russian is widely spoken in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, whereas the other languages are mostly spoken only in their own countries. Also, Russian is easier than Polish, and generally speaking, there is a varying degree in mutual intelligibility between Slavic languages.

Anonymous

Russian, Belorussian and Ukrainian are pretty close. You coudl understand other two if you know either. I know Russian and could understand Belorussian and Ukrainian. While Polish is somewhat different, which is naturally becouse it belongs to other subgroup.

Anonymous

I have a Polish grandfather and a Belarusian Polishchuky (her langauage was closer to Ukrainian) Grandmother

Curious to know out of Belarusian or Ukrainian langauage which one is closer to Russian ?

Anonymous

Well hard to say. Northern dialcts (Akavci) are closer to Belorussian dialects, Southern to Ukrainian. Russian literary language is based on central, which have more similarites with Ukrainian, IMHO. But on other side 71% of people in Belorussia speak Russian as their first language.

Anonymous

Curious to know out of Belarusian or Ukrainian langauage which one is closer to Russian ?

Usually Belarusian language seems more similar with Russian for me, at least the texts posted on Belarusian subforum here. There’s no policy or preferences, this’s just my personal impression.

Anonymous

thank you for your comments so far.
    My aim is to travel through Poland, Belarus, Western Ukraine and maybe parts of Western Russia

can anyone personally recommend a language software ?

Anonymous

If I were you I would learn Polish and Russian together.

Anonymous

You're not going to like my answer, but I say Russian. Does it matter that other people are studying it? It is by far the most useful and (to me) the most interesting Slavic language. However, if you must learn another language, learn Polish.

Anonymous

I am thinking you might be right.
    I wish Rosetta Stone had a Ukrainian version !

Has anyone been using Rosetta Stone for Polish or Russian ? If so how did you find it?

Anonymous

I'm trying to learn Russian,  but don't have anyone to practice with.  I have heard both good and bad about Rosetta stone and it is very expensive

Anonymous

Why don’t you start with a free online course and if you’re still interested in it, buy Rosetta stone (if you have that kind of money to spend). But I’m sure there will be someone offering lessons in your area; you live in the US after all.

Anonymous

I just got a 3 cd leason set that i can listen to on the way to work.  I have picked up a few words and phrases online

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.