• This topic has 9 voices and 19 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Per unit of population.

Anonymous

I voted for our fellow juhoši: Croats/Bosnians/Montenegrins/Serbs. IMO they drink the most though we drink tons of coffee aswell. Coffee in the morning, coffee in between, after lunch, in the afternoon (several).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I voted for our fellow juhoši: Croats/Bosnians/Montenegrins/Serbs. IMO they drink the most though we drink tons of coffee aswell. Coffee in the morning, coffee in between, after lunch, in the afternoon (several).

Štajerc, has coffee historically been a popular beverage in those countries? If not, do you know when coffee was introduced?  My Ukrainian family always drank/drinks tea; coffee is rare. In fact, I have old Ukrainian tea tins that belonged to some of my ancestors.

What kind of coffee is preferred? Is it prepared in any kind of special way?

I wonder if coffee has out-paced tea in Ukraine? If so, when was it introduced?

Of course, I prefer coffee, as do most Americans.

Anonymous

I know i do 2 per day on working days.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I know i do 2 per day on working days.

Are people in Croatia aware that you can become addicted to caffeine?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Are people in Croatia aware that you can become addicted to caffeine?

Guilty :)

Anonymous

I drink 2 or 3 cups per day. but Bosnians are probably biggest consumers of it.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Štajerc, has coffee historically been a popular beverage in those countries? If not, do you know when coffee was introduced?  My Ukrainian family always drank/drinks tea; coffee is rare. In fact, I have old Ukrainian tea tins that belonged to some of my ancestors.

What kind of coffee is preferred? Is it prepared in any kind of special way?

I wonder if coffee has out-paced tea in Ukraine? If so, when was it introduced?

Of course, I prefer coffee, as do most Americans.

For the South Slavs outside the Austrian Empire coffee was introduced by the Turks in some 16th or 17th century I guess … We, who lived on the other side of the border, saw coffee first after the failed Turkish siege of Vienna in 1683, when the Poles made the Turks run away and leave their coffee behind. ;D Generally I'd say coffee was predominant to tea in the empire (by some 19th century). Then even poorer people drank coffee or a stuff called "čikorija" or so, which gives a similar drink. Real tea was something alien to the average peasent here. At least among Slovenes, many sorts of other teas had strong rooths. Such as linden tea, hagebuten tea and others.

Decaff you mostly wont find in a Slavic home down here. ;) People here drink instant coffee or powder.

A special way is "bosanska kafa", quite a strong coffee actually. You better ask a Bosnian member how to prepare that. :)
    It looks like this
    (To the caffee you get sugar kubes and ratluk/lokum/turkish delight, which is very sweet. You're supposed to make a bite of ratluk and a sip of coffee or sth like that. Or you just put sugar in it. Or not.)

Anonymous

Slovenes consume the most of Slavs. But coffee dosen't have long historic presence here. At least not among commoners but i guess possibly some townsmen drank it before 19th century. Ppl drink it to work all the time. Personally i used to drink alot, huge quantaties of it not long ago. Now i stoped cuz that way i can get asleep easier and feel more relaxed thru the day generally. Rurals knew drink called proja which was also called coffee but its something like boiled roasted barley and some additions i can't recall. So my grandma didn't knew about real coffe till mid 20's, what she tought under name coffe was that barley drink.

Štajerc what the f. Maybe in Styria you drink instant crap. Here not really. We drink Turkish. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Slovenes consume the most of Slavs. But coffee dosen't have long historic presence here. At least not among commoners but i guess possibly some townsmen drank it before 19th century. Ppl drink it to work all the time. Personally i used to drink alot, huge quantaties of it not long ago. Now i stoped cuz that way i can get asleep easier and feel more relaxed thru the day generally. Rurals knew drink called proja which was also called coffee but its something like boiled roasted barley and some additions i can't recall. So my grandma didn't knew about real coffe till mid 20's, what she tought under name coffe was that barley drink.

Štajerc what the f. Maybe in Styria you drink instant crap. Here not really. We drink Turkish. :D

There is no real Turkish coffee in Slovenia, say what you want. And people in Lublana don't know what coffee is :P

Anonymous

My guess it'd be southern Slavic countries. In eastern Slavic countries coffee is becoming more popular, although I have an impression tea is still favourite caffeinated drink of the majority. In the past during soviet era there was a shortage of quality coffee for unknown reason. This could be the reason why my grandparents are not drinking coffee very much.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    There is no real Turkish coffee in Slovenia, say what you want. And people in Lublana don't know what coffee is :P

Idk why you mention LJ. I don't really live there and never did if you don't know. :) There is Turkish coffee. Barcaffe Classic is pretty much Turkish coffee. And this coffee is only thing you'd get in average household. What you maybe meant is the way of preperation. But in the end its still Turkish.

Bars on the other hand serve mostly cappuccinos and like you say instants and coffee in bars is pretty much same everywhere in SLO.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Idk why you mention LJ. I don't really live there and never did if you don't know. :) There is Turkish coffee. Barcaffe Classic is pretty much Turkish coffee. And this coffee is only thing you'd get in average household. What you maybe meant is the way of preperation. But in the end its still Turkish.

Bars on the other hand serve mostly cappuccinos and like you say instants and coffee in bars is pretty much same everywhere in SLO.

I didn't mean you with Lublana, no offense. Otherwise, barcafe is the most common thing one gets at home – classic. But quite some people like instant aswell, you can't deny.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I didn't mean you with Lublana, no offense. Otherwise, barcafe is the most common thing one gets at home – classic. But quite some people like instant aswell, you can't deny.

I won't deny. Its just that to those households i usually go i am always offered with the barcafee classic. And when i did some jobs they were constantly asking me if i want coffee and if i said yes they gave me classic, again….. :D I don't know for sure how's that in other families so i can't say anything definitve except my experiance.

Anonymous

we actually drink a lot stronger coffee than Turks do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Oliver (TW BLOCK)
  • kony97
  • Tujev
  • Piachu
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta
  • Fia