Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    [img width=700 height=393]http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/assets/876/493/alaskastock.jpg?ve=1&tl=1″/>

[size=12pt]White house petition[/size], as you can see on website of White house you can sign a petition "Alaska back to Russia." First I thought that this is just a joke but is not?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/alaska-back-russia/SFG1ppfN

Petition needs to reach goal of 100,000 signatures.

What do you think about that?

Anonymous

These things aren't taken seriously and the US government doesn't have a legal obligation to go through with these petitions. I remember seeing one to deport Justin Bieber to Canada.

It's also a little ridiculous. Alaska wasn't stolen or invaded, it was purchased from Russia.

Anonymous

Isn't this the same as the Death Star petition?

Anonymous
    Quote:
    These things aren't taken seriously and the US government doesn't have a legal obligation to go through with these petitions. I remember seeing one to deport Justin Bieber to Canada.

It's also a little ridiculous. Alaska wasn't stolen or invaded, it was purchased from Russia.

But it still is not paid yet, as I heard. If that is true, problems might arise.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    But it still is not paid yet, as I heard. If that is true, problems might arise.

Where did you hear that? The purchase was made in mid-19th century. Why would it take that long to pay off? It only cost $7 million.

Anonymous

Poll added as requested by SvetovidSlovenski.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Poll added as requested by SvetovidSlovenski.

I forgot to add it. Thank you Svevlad :D

Anonymous

Give it to Slovenia. Problem solved. Period.

Anonymous

This is only trolling. for the time being !

Anonymous

There was a Death Star petiton as well on that site :) the site was trolled a lot of times by 4chan memebers

Anonymous

Why White house trolling than? Why all this petitions on "serious" site?

Anonymous
    Quote:

People misused and abused the system. The government can't do everything 100,000 people want.

Anonymous

Hilarious! Alaska did belong to Russia in the past. Alaskans should now rush and book in for Russian classes!

Anonymous
    Quote:

What do you think about that?

First, Russians would need to get past this lady. ;D Though, if she did lose, some  Americans wouldn't miss her.  ;)

Sarah Palin shoots a Caribou – Scene from "Sarah Palin's Alaska", episode 4

Quote:

Constitutional freedom of speech. Or, something like that…  :D All Americans (even trolls!) are allowed to have their voices heard in government. *Please note: This same "freedom of speech" does not carry-over to your place of employment. So, telling your boss to "F-off" is not a Constitutionally protected right.  :(

While Alaska has been part of the United States for some time, it was long ago, as others have noted, part of Russia. In 1867, Secretary of State William Seward purchased the land from Russia for about $7.2 million. It didn't become a state until 1959. It also happens to be rich with natural resources, from oil to timber to gold. So, America would kinda miss Alaska, I think.  :'(

Also, this isn't the first time someone has petitioned for a state to secede from the USA. In 2012, a similar petition involving Texas received enough signatures for a response, which was… wait for it… NO.  :D

Quote:
    Give it to Slovenia. Problem solved. Period.

I could get behind this idea. Yes, yes, indeed I could. *writes petition*  :D

Anonymous

Alaska was sold, but Russia never received payment – as far as I know, ship that carried money (or gold) sank somewhere in Atlantic. From legal point of view, need to see the contract itself (terms of payment, warranty etc.).

Anyway, little history lesson: that was perhaps the best move Alexander II (dough pretty looney) made. If not sold to US (only a rising regional power at the time), Alaska would've been taken for free by the British. GB was colonial power at it's heyday and their army in Canada was already in move. And not only Alaska, but probably all eastern Siberia, hardly populated and defended at the time – GB had troops in India and China, no way Russia could resist to united attack. Oil gained importance only 50 years later, and still Siberia has lot more of it then Alaska. Also "Golden fever" in Klondike was more "movie thing" then of real significance. Conclusion: better Siberia without Alaska then none of them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • jorgos
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • Fia