• This topic has 25 voices and 55 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

So tell me/us who is the most famous Slovene you know. It can be a historical person, a living person, a dead one – it doesn't matter. Vote and tell us please where you "discovered" him/her, why do you think so, what did he acomplish and posibly a picture. That would be nice. :)

So lets start! :D

Anonymous

Anonymous
    Quote:

Yes Moravški maček, our very own alcoholic ski jumper! I am relatively close to him. :D

Anonymous

A certain trio. Pohvec, Carniolan and you  8)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    A certain trio. Pohvec, Carniolan and you  8)

Hehe, I don't know if I should be happy or sad about this. ;D

Anonymous

Radoslav Nestrović and Zoran Janković ;D Uf they are not Slovenes ;D

Tina Maze, and Urška Žolnar.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Tina Maze, and Urška Žolnar.

Hehe, I think she'll stay just Žolnir. ;)

Anonymous

Sorry, it is how our TV speakers prononce her name :)

Anonymous

No problem. :)

Anonymous

Btw Žolnir is old Slovene word for Landsknecht. :D

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Radoslav Nestrović and Zoran Janković ;D Uf they are not Slovenes ;D

Why not? :D

Anonymous

Sinička, well Janković could pass as Slovene, his mother is. But when it comes to Nesterović, he identifays as Serb, he hang out in Belgrade, have flat there, participat in socila events. I mean, Serbs are like that. You have third an fourth generation of imigrants in US and Australia who are Serbs, like Greeks or Italians, or Poles and other similar nations. :))
    And this was more to jok a bit.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Sinička, well Janković could pass as Slovene, his mother is. But when it comes to Nesterović, he identifays as Serb, he hang out in Belgrade, have flat there, participat in socila events. I mean, Serbs are like that. You have third an fourth generation of imigrants in US and Australia who are Serbs, like Greeks or Italians, or Poles and other similar nations. :))
    And this was more to jok a bit.

I had an impression that you have a different opinion about Serb (and Croat, Bosniak, etc) diasporans in Slovenia – I thought you considered them as Slovenes, seeing that you posted Cimerotic and Zahovic in the Slovenes thread. And then I saw your statement that Nesterovic and Jankovic "aren't Slovenes", which got me a little confused.  :D

Anonymous

I think Cimerotič and Zahovič are Slovenes, as far as I remember. At least nobody claim any non-Sloene ancestry for those.
    Snežana Rodić, Radoslav Nesterović, Ognjen Šukalo, Milenko Aćimović… those are Slovenian Serbs, they are all married to other Serbs as well and identify as Serbs :). Janković is half-half.
    Well, Serbs accept anybody of Serbian ancestry who identify himself or herself as Serb. Well, amybe there would be problem with people of mixed races, to be accepted.
    For example, there is famous Holywood actor Karl Malden, he is Serbian by father, and Czech by mother, and he allways identified as Serb, and was active in Serbian organisations in US. There is one bishop in Serbian Churhc, who is third generation fo imigrants. Like I said, we resemble Poles and Greeks in that matter.

Anyway, on that sportsmen, I dont see any reason to quarell (I know there is no, just stating opinion :D), that persons are both Serbian and Slovene, they identify as Serbs, but they represented Slovenia, and Slovenes have right to see them as their own. 

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I had an impression that you have a different opinion about Serb (and Croat, Bosniak, etc) diasporans in Slovenia – I thought you considered them as Slovenes, seeing that you posted Cimerotic and Zahovic in the Slovenes thread. And then I saw your statement that Nesterovic and Jankovic "aren't Slovenes", which got me a little confused.  :D

Both Nesterović and Janković are of Serb ancestry and Slavs, therefore recognised as any other Serbs, regardless are their mothers of the same Slavic ethnicity or not. The trait of adopting the mothers ethnicity is non-existent, or very rarely seen, as far as I know only J[size=1pt]'[/size]ews have this tradition. However Zoran Janković rejects to identify as Serb, probably because of his political position, being a mayor of Ljubljana, and also as he states being a victim of discrimination by Slovene media, for being one. It is an unitarist tradition from the communist times to declare oneself as Yugoslav, a sort of a defense mechanism to avoid discrimination as a minority. A miserable one in my opinion, since it gives in to discrimination instead of fighting against it, but it is ones own personal descision that makes the life easier for them I guess. The famous actor Rade Šerbedžija is one such example.

Nesterović doesn't seem to have the problem, since he belongs to a younger generation. As he states when asked about his identity by a Serbian newspaper:

[li]

"Ja sam, brate, rođen u Ljubljani, gde sam i živeo, pa je normalno što sam igrao za reprezentaciju Slovenije. Jedno vreme sam, kao klinac, živeo i u Beogradu, dok sam nosio dres Partizana. Čekaj, pa kad vidiš ime Radoslav Nesterović, da li uopšte razmišljaš odakle sam poreklom?!"

"I was born in Ljubljana, where I also lived, so it is normal that I played for the Slovene representation. One time I also lived in Belgrade as a kid, where I worn the Partizan jersey. When you see the name Radoslav Nesterović, do you even think what my ancestry could be?[/li]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

4 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Tujev
  • kony97
  • 'las
  • Fia