• This topic has 52 voices and 83 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Main gods:

Svarog/Сварог
    – God of fire and sky, Heavengod, firstborn of the Slavic gods
    Perun/Перун – God of war and thunder
    Triglav/Триглав – God of sky, earth and the underworld, trinity god
    Stribog/Стрибог – God of wind and forest
    Vles-Volos-Veles/Влес,Волос,Велес – God of cattle, fertility, underground, mischief and magic
    Svetovid,Svjatovid/Световид,Свјатовид – God of Wisdom,Knowledge and foreseeing
    Voden/Воден – God of sea and water
    Crnobog/Црнбог – Dark evil god of Death, the Blackgod
    Belbog/Белбог – White good god of life, the Whitegod
    Rod,Usud/Род,Усуд – God of Birth and Destiny
    Dažbog/Дајбог – God of Sun and fortune, master of wolfs

Which one is it and why? Did you choose your God by your personal profession as a protector of you or do you feel a connection to particular one?

Anonymous

Which one is it and why? Did you choose your God by your personal profession as a protector of you or do you feel a connection to particular one?

Perun. Because he is similar to Thor. In my opinion is the representation of Slavic pride and honor. I also believe that the temperament of us males is the nearest one to this divinity.

Anonymous

For me it is Perun, because he created Slavs and other white people in general. Therefore the thunder god was in all aryan civilisations the chief god or at least among the mayor deities – Perún, Perkunas, Taranius, Thor, Zeus, Jupiter, Indra etc. Do you remember that old Greek myth how Zeus fellin love with Europa and kidnapped her? It is just imagination of how Perún chosen people in asia and introduced them into europe.

Anonymous

Parom or Perún, because people have kept him in mind at longest. He is present at Slovak folk culture, traditions, history and language in various forms (as well as at another Slavic folks).

Anonymous
    Quote:
    For me it is Perun, because he created Slavs and other white people in general. Therefore the thunder god was in all aryan civilisations the chief god or at least among the mayor deities – Perún, Perkunas, Taranius, Thor, Zeus, Jupiter, Indra etc. Do you remember that old Greek myth how Zeus fellin love with Europa and kidnapped her? It is just imagination of how Perún chosen people in asia and introduced them into europe.

Well actually different tribes used to worship different Gods or better to say different Gods had different values for them. Among East Slavs Svarog was very often seen as major god, while among west-Slavs and south-Slavs (especially Poles, Croats and Slovenes as i noticed) Svetovid/Svantevid was most commonly worshiped and was usually seen as an most important god, and Triglav after him. Perun on other hand was worshiped by all of them but i think he didn't have the "chief God" title, that's the thing with the God Pantheon, none really was the chief god i guess.

I'd voted, Stribog!

I'm into nature, hiking, and such adventures in the wilds are a big thing for me. He's the best God companion for that i believe.

Anonymous

Veles, primarly because my birth-town probably bear it's name cause of him. Also "Veles book", extraordinary text, regardless of what some people declare it as forgery :P

Veles – Great Father of the people who gave valuable knowledge to Slavs: gardening, beekeeping and pottery. It protects the forests, birds and beasts. To him is dedicated Book of Veles.

dr RADIVOJE PEŠIĆ about Slavic gods and Veles book.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Veles, primarly because my birth-town probably bear it's name cause of him. Also "Veles book", extraordinary text, regardless of what some people declare it as forgery :P

Veles – Great Father of the people who gave valuable knowledge to Slavs: gardening, beekeeping and pottery. It protects the forests, birds and beasts. To him is dedicated Book of Veles.

dr RADIVOJE PEŠIĆ about Slavic gods and Veles book.

What's the towns name?

I voted, Svarog

[img width=365 height=700]http://www.os-popovac.skole.hr/upload/os-popovac/images/static3/876/Image/Klimenko-Svarog.JPG” />
    he is the cheif god of Slavs i think, similar to Germanic Odin.

By the way Dervan, Book of Veles is an forgery as i have heard. I didn't have the chance to take a look at it.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    What's the towns name?

Власеница.

he is the cheif god of Slavs i think, similar to Germanic Odin.

Many equate Odin with Voden, mainly because of similar name Voden-Woden (High German variant of Wotan, Odin)

By the way Dervan, Book of Veles is an forgery as i have heard. I didn't have the chance to take a look at it.

I think it isn't forgery, but even best scholars don't agree about it.

Anonymous
    Quote:

Many equate Odin with Voden, mainly because of similar name Voden-Woden (High German variant of Wotan, Odin)

Well it's only a coincidence, Voden has no such role in Slavic panthen as Oden has in Germanic one.

Besides, name Voden derived from Slavic words for water "Voda/wody/воды" and so he is the god of water among other things, while Odin/Wotan/Wōdanaz is derived from proto-Germanic words made of merging old Norse words for "fury, poetry, rage" and few others.
    So it's just a coincidence, same as for example root Slav in Slavic is connected to the term Glory (slava, slawa) while in Germanic it's the root for Germanic language family word "Slave"…

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Well it's only a coincidence, Voden has no such role in Slavic panthen as Oden has in Germanic one.

Besides, name Voden derived from Slavic words for water "Voda/wody/воды" and so he is the god of water among other things, while Odin/Wotan/Wōdanaz is derived from proto-Germanic words made of merging old Norse words for "fury, poetry, rage" and few others.
    So it's just a coincidence, same as for example root Slav in Slavic is connected to the term Glory (slava, slawa) while in Germanic it's the root for Germanic language family word "Slave"…

Yeah, and Voden isn't even close of being any really so important God in Slavic pantheon as Odin in Germanic so there is no way they could be connected on any level. It's just coincidence about the name similarity.

Anonymous

Perun.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Perun.

Perun is overrated :D j/k… i'd wonder if any Black-metal Slavs would chose Crnobog :D what do you think?

Anonymous

Ah, good you mention him! Also one of favourites because he is so mysterious and much less is known about him.
    About black metallers, I know Russian BM band called Chernobog. On Metal Archives I see there is two even.

What is ironic is that even though he is one of most obscure of all Slavic gods, he has had most exposure in popular culture:

Chernabog in Disney's Fantasia movie (1940):

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Chernabog

Tchernobog in Monolith's Blood 3D game (1997):

http://blood.wiki-site.com/index.php/Tchernobog

Do you remember this game? I think I still have it somewhere.

Anonymous

My favourite god would be Svetovid but I voted Veles by accident  :(
    Chernoboh is in my opinion not an "evil" god. He is simply the counterpart of Beloboh. In my opinion, the concept of "evil" is just an invention of the abrahamitic religions.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    My favourite god would be Svetovid but I voted Veles by accident  :(
    Chernoboh is in my opinion not an "evil" god. He is simply the counterpart of Beloboh. In my opinion, the concept of "evil" is just an invention of the abrahamitic religions.

Probably true, it is said that both Belobog and Chernobog are ruled by Svarog.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.