• This topic has 6 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

[table][tr]
    [td][img height=220]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4296336274_6896fb5f1f.jpg”/>[/td]
    [td][img height=220]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/Bukva_-_Zapis_iz_okoline_Crne_Trave.JPG/350px-Bukva_-_Zapis_iz_okoline_Crne_Trave.JPG”/>[/td]
    [td][img height=220]http://v4.cache3.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/38490391.jpg”/>[/td]
    [td][img height=220]http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/31981578.jpg”/>[/td]
    [/tr][/table]

Zapis
    A zapis (Cyrillic: запис, Serbian pronunciation: [ˈzǎːpis], literally "inscription") or grm (Cyrillic: грм, from the tree of the thunder god Perun, Serbian: Perun Gromovnik, Cyrillic: Перун Громовник) is a tree in Serbia that is sacred for the village within whose bounds it is situated. A cross is inscribed into the bark of each zapis. Most of these trees are large oaks. Prayers are offered to God under the crown of the zapis, where also church services may be held, especially on village festivals observed to supplicate God for protection against destructive weather conditions. In settlements without a church, ceremonies such as weddings and baptisms used to be conducted under the tree. Folk tradition maintains that great misfortune will happen to anyone who dares to fell a zapis.

Origin
    In his study on the cult of trees among the ancient Serbs, Veselin Čajkanović states that the zapis is inherited from the pre-Christian religion of the Serbs, in which it had been used as a temple. Prayers and sacrifices were offered under the crown of the zapis, as in a temple. The zapisi are primarily selected from oaks, the trees associated with Perun—the thunder god of the old Slavic religion. A Serbian legend relates the story of a king who always prayed to God under a pear tree rather than in a church, saying, "The pear tree is my church." His prayers were so effective that he eventually became a saint.

Anonymous

Cvetinov thats cool stuff. Thanks ;) We have similar tradition. Every village had (and most still have) its own linden tree in front of church and/or in center of village. These linden trees are all ancient or very old. People would gather around linden tree for many festivals and village gatherings.

Festivals were called Rej pod lipo or Raj pod lipo in which people danced and celebrated. These village linden trees were also used for village gatherings called srenja. Under lush branches of village linden trees people solved various disputes and defined which part of communal land called gmajna will be for each villager.

Stones under this village linden tree represent each villagers seat and his power to vote in Srenja.

Linden tree in my village is 500 years old. :D

Anonymous

Winter is coming :D

Praise Gods of Old.

Anonymous

Winter is coming

Winter is my middle name ;D

Anonymous

My cousin name is Snjezana :D

Anonymous

The trees seem to be the first "churches" of the Slavs. If I recall correctly:

Oak Tree (hrast)        ->  Perun
    Ash Tree  (jasen)      ->  Svetovid
    Linden Tree (lipa)      ->  Vida the goddess of healing or Vesna the spring bringer
    Birch Tree (breza)    ->    Potrimbi the god of harvest
    Walnut Tree (orah)    ->  Morana the goddess of death

Anonymous

Linden Tree (lipa)      ->  Vida the goddess of healing or Vesna the spring bringer

This info is realy good Cvetinov. Names Vida and Vesna are very widespread in Slovenia like linden trees ;D

Anonymous

My cousin name is Snjezana :D

Snowy cousin! ;D

Anonymous
    Quote:

This is good information, Thank you!

Anonymous

Excellent thread, Cvetinov! Thanks!

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Winter is my middle name ;D

Povhec Winter Sezonovski

Anonymous

Povhec Winter Sezonovski

Hahah yep thats me alright!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

11 User(s) Online Join Server
  • ca$hbunni
  • GOGA
  • 'las
  • kony97
  • Lucifer Morningstar
  • Jan Pat II