The Ship Rocks (Корабите скали – Синеморец) are a unusual rock formations at Bulgarian village Sinemorets (Bulgarian: Синеморец; also Sinemorec, Sinemoretz, “place on the blue sea”) which is a village and beautiful seaside resort on the Black Sea coast of Bulgaria, located in the very southeast of the country close to the border with Turkey, where the river Veleka flows into the sea. Ceramic fragments from the 5th-4th century BC have been found in the Potamya inlet south of this amazing village, as well as anchors and metal casing of an ancient ships. The village was first mentioned in one old Ottoman document in 1496; the population then consisted of only 16 Christian families, as the attacks of sea pirates had forced many to move to inland Strandzha. According to Austrian diplomat Wenzel von Bronjar who sailed near the village, in 1766 it had 17 houses and its population mainly engaged in wood export while today they live off tourism. According to another westerner, Enelholm, in 1824 it had 30 houses and was located somewhat inland, with only its pier on the coast. Again, the low population and the location is explained by the attacks of the Caucasian Laz pirates.