• This topic has 13 voices and 50 replies.
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Quote:
    It is reasonable to assume  that all modern Church architecture evolved out of earlier sacral architecture used by pagans be it early Slavic, Germanic, Roman or Byzantium architecture.

I agree that much of architecture has pre-Christian period elements but i as i posted already before i fail to see connection between this one;

and this one;

Anonymous

of course, as we already mentioned there is continuity of architecture. i dont know why some people must irrationally write about stealing and so…

pictures put by povhec are a nice example. you can see how greek sacral architecture changed. did it change because they changed religion? of course not…
    it changed because of technological advance over time. the common thing shared by 2 posted examples, is heavy roof put on heavy frame (only parts of frame are preserved in 1st example).
    but in the 1st example you can see its supported by pillars
    in the 2nd by archs

simply ancient greeks couldnt build such archs so they used pillars instead.
    other than that, both were the same…. walls+roof :)

Anonymous
    Quote:
    idea of sacral places, not just buildings is universal probably to all people… and its thought slavs build temple buildings under christian influence, i think i mentioned it in this thread.

It is not universal and sacral buildings were not used by Jesus and his Apostles and early Christians.

christianity is religion, not collection of texts.

Take a closer look at different Christian denominations. What defines them all as Christians? The same religious text. The Holy Bible. Yet, all have different traditions, interpretations of the Bible and various attributes.

did you know that attending temples is mentioned in bible? including new testament which is basis of christianity
    however buildings, architecture etc dont constitute faith. faith is spiritual

Quote the passage from the Bible, please.

i hope you at least know what is spirituality, because your materialist view and shallow judging based on surface and first glance of things says otherwise.

It's not my materialist view, it's rather your lack of awareness. I also hope you stop discussing others and stick to the subject presenting your arguments.

and yes if you want to judge architecture, one fancy photo of how building looks from outside isnt enough. architecture styles are reflected in small almost unnoticeable details. because all buildings on earth share the same basic look. walls+roof

There are enough pagan elements in modern architectures.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    And here it is now, Re-Built :D

To be honest the modern Cathedral has little in common with that old version besides the similarity in the outside architecture. All these offices in the Church, paid parking, secular concerts, priests-businessmans aren't connected with Christianity, his official name in documents is more correct: shopping and entertainment center.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    Nitpicking much? Iconoclasm was formally allowed only 730 (that's some good 300 years after Byzantine foundation). Why? It was an European pagan thing, and such things were seen as heresy. In the middle ages bathing was seen as heresy too by the Christians, since it was too a pagan thing. That was my point. Don't twist it with meaningless details.

Carniolan, you are as allways ignorant. First of all. Byzantium was not founded it was continuation of Eastern Roman Empire. It is not meaningles detail it is fact,, neglecting of that fact is just showing of your ignorance. Iconoclasm was not proclaimed by Church, it was forced by secular power. Which Christians saw it as heresy. Leo III and Constantine V Copronym (Christians called him feces-named.) But you not know facts do you. It was kulturkampf, secular governemtn was fighting clergy influence in Byzantine socitey. But again, some ignorant who read few articles in popular literature must to troll about things he could not even comperhend.

Quote:
    Agree with the jewish part, however – The Latin word basilica (derived from Greek, Basiliké Stoà, Royal Stoa), was originally used to describe a Roman public building (as in Greece, mainly a tribunal), usually located in the forum of a Roman town.

Oh we are reading Wikipedia, do we ;D It was originally used to describe Hellenistic public building for courts and trade. As allways, you read just first line or two. βασιλική στοά, – Royal walkway. Do you have something more to teach me professor? ;D

Quote:
    Well that is too bad. I for one enjoy your sermons.
    Byzantine architecture was inspired by the Roman empire, with some eastern Greek flavuor. It's still pagan European at it's core.

Carniolan, please enlight me what is pagan about basilica. ;D It was originaly royal walkway, where he was judging and overseeing trade. It was latter used as public building. When Church became state religion, some of that public buildings were given to her. Basilicas were secular buildings not religious. That s why Christians prefered to use them. From style of Basilicas Christians developed Byzantinr style, whic is blend of Graeco-Roman and Near-Eastern architecture. Byzantinr architects mad dozens of tehnological improvments. And Byzantine style was mainly used for Churches.

@Kudesnik
    Christianity is not collection of texts. It is religion. Bible is for Christians part of Divine relevation to humankind. Neutral classicfication would be Bible is solection of sacred texts of Christianity. Christ and apostols went in one magnificant Temple (Solomons), For first three centuries Christians lived under persecution and they were not able to build magnificent Churches. But still they had their buildings for Liturgy and burials (catacombs).
    And to add. Secular details from societies which were pagan are not in same time pagan values.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    notice there are small crescent under each cross, i heard its interpreted as symbol of victory over pagan cult of bull…

The Stalinists must felt the same type of victory when they blew up the church.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

17 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Lyutenitsa
  • Малките Натягат
  • Hexis
  • Kemo
  • Fia
  • Piachu