• This topic has 4 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

[img width=700 height=306]http://www.novosti.rs/upload/images/2013//11/02/9Dragicai.jpg”/>

Fantastic discovery of archeologist of Ras Muzeum on one of the hills of Pešter. Foundations of three buildings square shaped described by perfectly circular walls are clearly seen in the images from satellites. Fire caused by lightening on a nameless hill of Pešter, in the middle of nowhere where even sheep are not grazed, recently burned up juniper bushes and discovered foundations of unusual buildings, probably old Slavic temple. Archeologists from Ras Muzeum in Novi Pazar have discovered this unique site in late October, exploring the mysterious Serbian mounds from period before Nemanjić dynasty.

On the basis of preliminary excavations during which the remains of a typical Old Slavic ceramics have been found, it is assumed that this is a cult place of polytheistic religion whose main deity was Svetovid. The findings indicate that it was still active in the 9th and 10 century, before Nemanjić dynasty, when a large part of the Serbs have been already baptized. Archaeologists say there is no hint when the temple was build whose contours are clearly visible in the images from satellites!

Museum research team, composed of Svetlana Čeković, Nadžib Kočan and Vladan Vidosavljević, immediately set out to explore the environment and discover the foundations of three identical buildings. Archeologist were totally confused by the discovery, because this kind of building hasn’t been recorded anywhere!

Numerous questions appeared. What was the purpose of this complex? What is the symbolism of squares in circles? To which point led the hallways from them? Who and when built this cult place in the wasteland of „Serbian Tibet”?

The treasury of toponyms

Stari Ras, especially Pešter plateau, are true treasures of toponyms associated with pre-Christian Slavic cults, say scientists. Scientists believe that very common names of hills resemble Slavs, such as: Trebište, Trebežići, Trebiće, Potreb, which have meaning of a place where people put their offerings (serbian: treba) to gods, and on the Dobri Dub (serbian word dub is in polish dąb), Dubovo and similar places, probably were sacred oak forests.

Source 1
    Source 2

Anonymous

I want to posted this on Slavorum but I thought it was already posted :) This tample is for sure dedicated to Svetovid. Number of buildings and their orientation indicates his cult.

Anonymous

I found this last year, but the article was in Serbian Cyrillic and I decided not to post it here. So well found Prelja +1 :)

Anonymous

Thanks guys :) I wish they would show those artefacts they found on the site. That would be interesting to see why they connect this temple with Sventovit.

As for toponyms, we also have many of them connected with the word 'trzeba' (offering):Trzebinia – town in South Poland, Trzebnica near Wrocław (also Trzebnickie Hill), Trzebież – city North-West Poland, Trzebiatów – city in West Pomeriania, Trzebieszów – village in Eastern Poland and also 7 villages called Trzebień. To me they might be places of offerings.

Anonymous

I thought offer was PONUDA in Serbian and something similar to that in other Slavic languages.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I thought offer was PONUDA in Serbian and something similar to that in other Slavic languages.

We don't know the word PONUDA as an offering. The most popular word is 'ofiara'. The other older words we use are 'trzeba', 'żertwa' or 'obiata' in the meaning of a meal offered to the gods.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    The other older words we use are 'trzeba', 'żertwa' or 'obiata' in the meaning of a meal offered to the gods.

I think the word we are looking for is sacrifice. In Serbian "žrtvovati, žrtvovanje, žrtva" mean sacrifice. It is similar to your word zertwa.

Anonymous
    Quote:
    I think the word we are looking for is sacrifice. In Serbian "žrtvovati, žrtvovanje, žrtva" mean sacrifice. It is similar to your word zertwa.

Yes, I agree. I think in religious terms 'offering' and 'sacrifice' means the same :)

Anonymous

In modern Serbian "potreba" would be "need", "treba" is form of "trebati" which is also like "to need/need", and "offering" would be "žrtva/poklon/dar"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Slavorum

9 User(s) Online Join Server
  • Piachu
  • Fia
  • jorgos
  • Tujev
  • slovborg
  • TypowaPolskaKobieta