The theme of the ancient kinship of the Celts and Slavs has become very popular in last few years. Celebrating Celtic festivals or mimicking Celtic music in Slavic countries has been very popular in last dozen years. Is it just a popular trend, or is it just politics and the fact Slavic and Celtic nations never had a bad point in history? Some Russian historians have a different explanation about closeness of Slavic and Celtic people. Both the Celts and the Slavs equally had a cult of stones. In particular, the so-called “thunder stones” or “lightning stones” (thunder) were worshiped, arising mainly when lightning strikes the ground and leaves the mark (“arrow” or “finger” of Perun, the ruler of the storm and patron of the military class).
The Slavic Magi “Peruns Arrows” were used as protective talismans but this is just one of the similarities of the two tribes. Some Russian historians have a different explanation, one of the proponents of the proximity and interconnection of the ancient diverse pagan cultures of these two etnos, Tsvetkov, cites the following arguments as evidence:
1. The ancient authors often applied the term Hyperboreans, Venetians, Neurans and Antes for the both ancient Celts and Slavs. Such confusion was caused by ancient snobbery, expressed in a contemptuous attitude towards the barbarous peoples: in Central Europe, where the main tribes were the Celts and Germans, the Slavs were attributed alternately to one, or to another.
2. Based on the fact that the formation of the Slavic ethnos took place on the territory of the Povisleniya with the impressive influence of the Celtic civilization, it can be shown that the Slavic tribes were an ethnic synthesis from the Celtic and Proto-Slavic tribes. (As a basis for this thesis Tsvetkov sylaetsya on anthropological studies, as a result which was identified “Celtic-Slavic” type of skull structure.
3. Celtic and Slavic tribes possessed a similar mentality. One of its characteristic features is cruelty, based on the religious-mystical picture of the world. (As the author of the theory suggests, both the Celts and Slavs divided the world of people into “their own” and “strangers”, the last represented the inhabitants of the other world and were seen as a kind of “undead”, with which one can not stand on ceremony.) Celtic and Slavic warriors were known as skillful and fearless. Despite their cruelty and bellicosity, both were famous for their music, and had much in common in their relationship to power and religion.
4. The Celts and Slavs have a common, Indo-European origin, in connection with which it is assumed that the Celts and Slavs:
- have a similar pre-Christian picture of the world;
- similar ceremonies, in particular prophecy and funeral rites;
- the dominant role of the priestly estate in society;
- a common system of sacrifices.
5. “Chronicles of Celts”- It is assumed that the first Slavic magi were none other than the Celtic druids.
6. The similarity of the pagan Celtic and Slavic pantheons:
- Inclination to monotheism;
- common solar symbolism;
- the worship of objects of nature, in particular the worship of stones.
7. Traditions of the construction of temples by Slavic tribes were also similar to those of the Celts, who in turn adopted them from the Romans.
8. Kuznechnye, foundry technologies and jewelry art were similar among the Slavs and the Celts.
On the basis of all of the above, Tsvetkov comes to the conclusion that “early medieval” Slavs are in many ways direct descendants of the Celts, and not only heirs, but also carriers of Celtic traditions and Celtic culture.” The Slavic and the Celtic peoples give birth to the worship of the oak. The connection of the oak with other worlds in Slavic folklore is well known. So, the expressions “to give an oak” (to die), “to look into an oak” (to be at death), “to cling” (to numb) tree with the world of death.
According to popular beliefs, using the oak, the dead can enter the earth’s world. The oaks, oak groves were dedicated to the peasant Perun and were a means of communication with his (other) world. as a sacred tree, connecting with God idents mirami.Dub in Russian fairy tales, the hero of the seats move into other worlds or place of connection with these worlds: the oak to be the death of Koshchey Immortal, there remain a hollow that holds countless treasures, etc.